Problems with the Course Registration
In order to simplify FlewNow! procedures, please follow the instructions below BEFORE contacting the respective FlexNow coordinator (list below). If you are not able to register for a class, one of the following steps might help you to solve the problem:
For your initial registration as a participant of any class offered at the Institute of English and American Studies it does not matter what you want to attend this class for (Module etc.). The only prerequisite required for registration in a course is that you are registered as a student at the University of Bamberg.
If you are not yet registered as student in Bamberg, please read the entry of your class in UnivIS, in order to see if a limited amount of places on the participant list is reserved for example for exchange students. Important: Contact the respective instructor immediately to notify them about your interest in their class! Always include your full name and the title of the class you intend to take.
The Institute of English and American Studies consists of six sections:
- English Literature (Englische Literaturwissenschaft)
- British Culture (Britische Kulturwissenschaft)
- English and American Cultural Studies (Anglistische und Amerikanistische Kulturwissenschaft)
- American Studies (Amerikanistik: Literatur- und Kulturwissenschaft)
- English Linguistics (Englische Sprachwissenschaft)
- Language Pedagogy (Fachdidaktik)
You can find the affiliation of a class at the end of each UnivIS entry or via the affiliation of the instructor.
The Institute of English and American Studies offers the following types of classes:
- Lectures (Vorlesung, 2 ECTS, usually open for any module that requires a class for 2 ECTS)
- Topical Exercises (Thematische Übungen, 2 ECTS, usually open for any module that requires a class for 2 ECTS)
- Theory Class (Übungen mit dem Schwerpunkt Literatur- oder Kulturtheorie, 1 ECTS, open for the Ergänzungsmodul)
- Revision Course (Repetitorium, 2 ECTS, usually open for students preparing for their "Staatsexamen")
- Introductory Seminars (Einführungen, open for the Basismodul for 6 or 5 ECTS)
- Basic Seminars (Proseminare, usually open for the modules that require 5 or 6 ECTS - after passing the respective "Introduction to...")
- Advanced Seminars (Hauptseminare, usually open for modulesthat require for 8 or 10 ECTS)
- Advanced Seminars for Degree Candidates (Oberseminare, usually open for MA students and PhD students)
Make sure to register only for the type of class that actually fits into the module that you are intending to gain credits for. Whether or not you can take a class for a particular module (or not) is usually stated in the UnivIS entry of this class.
You find the registration period in the respective UnivIS entry. If you have missed the registration deadline, you may send an e-mail to the instructor of this class, asking for belated registration. Please make sure you always include your full name, the title of the class and your student identification number in any email send to an instructor.
Note: Observing the registration deadlines is the responsibility of the student. If you miss the deadline, the instructor is not required to grant you belated access to the registration!
Due to spatial restrictions (aka the number of seats available in the respective room), each class is only available to a limited number of students. If you cannot find the class in FlexNow, it might be due to the fact that the maximum number of participants has already been reached. Note: Registering on the waiting list will not guarantee a place in class! Students registered on the waiting list can only be admitted to the regular list of participants, if the instructor agrees and if the room allows for more students in class.
Please observe the following guidelines to ensure a swift processing of your request:
- Make sure you contact the right person at the right section! You can find all instructors and their respective affiliation in UnivIS.
- Mails sent to the wrong recipient may not be answered or cause an unnecessary delay.
- Answering your emails may take a few days.
- Sending emails to multiple recipients in different sections will not speed up procedures, but rather slow them down!
English and American Cultural Studies
Carmen Zink (Sekretariat)
|English Linguistics / Language Pedagogy|
Katrin Landwehr (Sekretariat)
|English Literature||Gisela Hirschmann-Raithel (Sekretariat)|