Your Library Card

Within the halls of our library, you can use all open stacks resources and search our Online Catalogue without your library card. For our IT infrastructure, the regulations for using the data processing systems of the Bamberg University [German only] apply.

To take books home, check out stack room resources, use interlibrary loan, or do subject-specific research online, you will need a free Library Card, which you can also use at the Bamberg State Library.

By activating your Library Card, you accept our Terms of Use.

Students and Staff of Bamberg University

Student Cards and Service Cards also serve as Library Cards. The Student Cards of first-year students are activated shortly before the start of the semester. You will find your library user number (013...) at the back of the Library Card.

For LIfBi Members

Please ask someone to confirm on this form(146.2 KB, 1 page) [German only] that you are employed at the Leibniz-Institut für Bildungsverläufe. You can then get a Library Card at any of our branch libraries.

Other Users

If you are not studying or employed at Bamberg University, you can still obtain a free Library Card at one of the branch libraries. However, you must be a resident of Germany. Pupils will be accepted if they are in the 10th grade and above.

How to apply for your Library Card online

To pick up your Library Card in one of our branch libraries, please bring your ID card or passport. Foreign students must present proof of their residence, the so called “Meldebescheinigung”, which is issued by the town hall.

Library cards which are requested on the weekend will be issued by us on Monday.

Alternatively, you can ask the State Library to issue a Library Card to you. You will find your library ID (013...) on the back of the Library Card.

If anything changes

Please notify the Library of any name or address changes (you can change your address yourself in your library account). If you are going to be absent for any length of time (e.g. during the term breaks), you will need to provide us with an alternative address to communicate with you and/or to recall checked-out resources. Otherwise you will be liable to pay late fees.

Students of the University of Bamberg must additionally report changes to the Student Office via this online portal. University employees please also report changes to the Human Resources Department.

Upon graduating, you may continue to use the Library as an external user. To change your status, please visit one of our Branch Libraries.

You lost your Library Card?

To prevent abuse, please notify us immediately if your card has been lost or stolen. Students will need to contact the Studierendenkanzlei for a new chip card. External users can obtain a replacement card at the Library.