Branch Library 1 (Theology and Philosophy)
About the Library
With its historic Library Hall, completed in 1791, Branch Library 1 (Teilbibliothek 1, TB 1) vividly epitomizes the continuity of Bamberg’s higher education tradition. When the Bamberg State Library moved out in 1966, taking along the holdings of the old university, the Hall became home to the central library of the Philosophical and Theological College, which in turn was integrated into Branch Library 1 after the University was re-established in 1972. As a result of the integration of the theological seminary and of the libraries of the institutes and because of the rapid, continuous growth of the library stock, expansion became an inevitable must. Bridging the gap between that which had grown in the course of time and the needs of our users today, we have been able to implement the overall vision of this branch library over the past 20 years. The library encompasses all levels of the overflow building of the West Wing of the Jesuit College built in 1735. The entire stock of the branch library is housed here. Thus materials are readily available.
About 148,000 volumes; approximately one out of four of which are on open shelves and 177 periodicals, such as magazines as well as daily and weekly newspapers.
Media on religious education (location code 117) are located in the so-called Lehr#werkstatt Theologie [German only] and can be borrowed there.
Range of subjects
- All branches of theology, including Ancient Christian Archeology, Christian Philosophy, Hellenistic and Ancient Middle East Cultural Studies, Sociology of Religion and Religious Studies.
- Jewish studies
For the old holdings, the collection priorities are on Canonistics, including collections of ecclesiastical courts decisions, primarily the Sacra Rota Romana of the 16th through to the 19th centuries.
As for the holdings of the 19th and 20th centuries, special emphasis is placed on Bible Sciences.
Where do I find what?
Overview charts(226.7 KB)
Level 1, Entrance Level
- Information desk, Check-out
- Daily Newspapers
- Copy machines, Scanner, Reader for microforms
Historic Library Hall
- Current year volumes of magazines (CA, ZT) in flap cabinets
- Course reserves and textbook collection for Theology and Jewish Studies
- Philosophy course reserves and textbook collection
- Related Theological Studies
- General Theology and Religious Studies
- Biblical Theology
- Old Testament
- Jewish Studies
- New Testament
- Historical Theology
Gallery of the Historic Library Hall
- Hard-back magazine volumes (usually from 1970 to present)
Upper Reading Room
- Philosophy - assorted systematically
- The History of Philosophy
- Contemporary Philosophy
- Computer rooms of the Catholic Theology Institute
- Work-station for the vision-impaired
- Foundational Theology
- Moral Theology
- Christian Social Studies
Lower Reading Room
- Religious Instruction
- Pastoral Theology
- Canon Law