Funding of Articles in Open Access Journals
The university management encourages the university's scientists and scholars to publish in Open Access journals and also to promote Open Access journals as reviewers, editors and publishers.
The University Library of Bamberg supports the transformation of scholarly publishing to Open Access. The aim is to make scientific research results freely available worldwide (oa2020.org).
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the University Library (contact persons).
Open Access Fund Articles
Funding for publication fees of quality-assessed Open Access journals is supported by the Open Access Fund for Articles.
The following criteria must be met:
- The articles to be published appear in journals whose contributions are all accessible to users free of charge via the internet immediately upon publication ("genuine open access journals") and which apply strict quality assurance procedures that are recognised in the respective subject.
- The publication fees (APC) do not exceed a maximum of 2.000 € per article.
- A scientist of Otto-Friedrich-University is responsible for the payment of the publication fees as "submitting author" or "corresponding author".
- All funded articles must be permanently archived in the Research Information System (FIS) and made accessible online.
All university members can apply for funding from the Open Access Fund.
Agreements with publishers on Open Access publishing
Members of the University of Bamberg have the opportunity to publish Open Access free of charge within the framework of contracts between library consortia and publishers. As part of the Deal project, publish-and-read contracts have been concluded with the publishers Wiley (2019) and Springer Nature (2020). Negotiations with the publisher Elsevier are currently suspended. The current status can be found on the project page.
Agreements are currently in place with the publishers listed here.
Cambridge University Press
Members of the University of Bamberg can use the Open Access option ("Cambridge Open") free of charge in many subscription journals of Cambridge University Press.
- The corresponding author is a member of the University of Bamberg.
- The journal is included in this list.
Please proceed as follows:
- After your article has been accepted, you will receive an OA publication licence form. Please confirm here that you would like to publish Open Access.
- You will then receive an e-mail with a link to pay the publication fee ("Article-processing charge. APC"). After calling up the link, select the Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg as the institution under "Affiliation discount". Then the publication fee will be waived.
Since the 01.01.2021 members of the University of Bamberg can publish Open Access in all journals of the publisher, free of charge. As "corresponding author" or "submitting author" you will receive information about your options for the open access publication model ("Hogrefe OpenMind") after your article was accepted. Please choose the CC-BY 4.0 licence. There will be no costs for you. The attribution to the University Bamberg is effected by your e-mail adress.
Please also keep in mind to enter your article into the Research Information System (FIS) of the University Bamberg and to archive the full text there.
- For publication in purely Open Access journals, members of the University of Bamberg receive a 20% discount on the Article Processing Charges. The University Library checks whether the corresponding author is a member of the University of Bamberg and informs them whether the publication fees can be covered by the university's Open Access Fund.
- In numerous hybrid journals (complete list), members of the University of Bamberg can publish Open Access free of charge. The University Library verifies that the corresponding author belongs to the University of Bamberg. They are then contacted by the publisher and decides whether the article should be published in Open Access. If publication fees are incurred for hybrid journals, these cannot be covered by the Open Access Fund.
The read-and-publish contract within the framework of the DEAL project with Springer Nature includes reading and access rights for the journals published by Springer Nature and free open access publishing in both the purely open access journals and the subscription journals. The costs for this are covered by the university library.
- When submitting publications in purely OA journals, please state Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg as the institution on the form. Your article will then be published Open Access and the publication fees will automatically be paid by the University Library.
- For publications in subscription journals, please indicate Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg as affiliation during the author identification process (this step takes place as soon as your article has been accepted for publication). Your article will then be published free of charge in open access.
You can find information at https://www.springernature.com/gp/open-research/institutional-agreements/oaforgermany-de
The read-and-publish contract within the framework of the DEAL project with Wiley includes reading and access rights for the journals published by Wiley and free open access publishing in both the pure open access journals and the subscription journals. The costs for this are covered by the university library.
- When submitting publications to purely Open Access journals, please state the Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg as the institution on the form. Your article will then be published Open Access and the publication fees will automatically be covered by the University Library. Step-by-step instructions from the publisher
- For publications in subscription journals, select "Yes, I would like to make my article OnlineOpen" in the Wiley Author Dashboard and indicate Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg as affiliation. Your article will then be published open access free of charge. Step-by-step instructions from the publisher