Requirements | Consequences | Legal foundations
De-registration or withdrawal of enrolment ends your rights and obligations as a student and your membership of the university.
De-registration on Request
Students can request de-registration themselves.
- either effective at the end of the current semester (from mid-January or mid-June, respectively) or
- effective immediately (upon receipt of request)
If de-registration/withdrawal is to take place due to a change of university or an interruption of studies, it is advisable to always request de-registration/withdrawal at the end of the current semester, as this will not result in any interruptions with regard to insurance coverage.
You can request de-registration in writing at the Registrar's Office.
The following documents must be submitted at the time of de-registration:
- De-registration form(407.5 KB)
- Student identity card (chip card)
De-registration by Act of Law or on Official Grounds
Where certain grounds exist, the university may or must de-register a student within the framework of the enforcement of Art. 49 of the Bavarian Higher Education Act (Bayerisches Hochschulgesetz). This is the case if
- an enrolment restriction arises ex post facto (Art. 46 Bavarian Higher Education Act),
- an examination required by the examination regulations has been conclusively failed,
- the fees and contributions due at the time of re-registration have not been paid,
- a student insurance certificate required under the Registration Ordinance for Student Health Insurance is not submitted by the student's own negligence,
- it is established on the basis of evidence that the enrolment or re-registration has been fraudulently undertaken.
Whatever the case, you should request a certificate of de-registration. You can use this document to prove the date of your de-registration in the future (e.g. at the child benefit office or when enrolling at another university).
The legal foundations are available here Bayerischen Hochschulgesetz and here Immatrikulations-, Rückmelde- und Exmatrikulationssatzung.
Refund of Fees and Contributions
In the course of de-registration, you should check the possibility of a refund of any re-registration fees you have already paid for the next semester.
The refund of semester fees is governed by the provisions of the statutes of the Studentenwerk Würzburg concerning an additional contribution for the transportation of students at the Bamberg university location on public transport (semester pubic transport pass) dated 28 November 2019, and the statutes of the Studentenwerk Würzburg on the levying of the basic contribution (Grundbeitragssatzung) dated 4 April 2019.
- Request for refund of semester fees