Before applying

Who is eligible?
  • Bachelor's degree or Diploma in English and American Studies (corresponding to 180 ECTS)
  • Bachelor's degree or Diploma in other philologies (corresponding to 180 ECTS)
  • Bachelor's degrees or Diploma in other courses of study with at least 25% (corresponding to 45 ECTS) of courses in pholology
When to apply?
  • Starting in the winter semester:  between mid-May and early October
  • Starting in the summer semester: between mid-November and late March
  • More information and exact dates

Visa applications might take very long, we suggest:

  • apply as early as possible
  • if necessary, plan to apply one semester before starting the programme and inform the coordinators (you will need a new letter of admission)
  • get in touch with embassies early on

Application and admission

Application documents
  • Online application form
  • School leaving certificate + English/German translation
  • University diploma + English/German translation
  • Transcript of university records + English/German translation
  • Diploma supplement + English/German translation (if provided by your university)
  • Language proficiency certificate proving level C1 (CEFR). We accept the following certificates:
    • TOEFL: minimum of 600 (paper test) or 250 (computer test) or 98 (online test); (valid only for two years!)
    • IELTS: minimum of 7.0 (valid only for two years!)
    • Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English): "pass"
    • Michigan ECPE (Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English): "pass"
    • Trinity ISE 3 (Integrated Skills in English): "pass"
    • Pearson PTA Academic: minimum of 76
  • Please note that all applicants (except native speakers) need to send proof of language proficiency even if their language of instruction in their Bachelor's Degree was English
  • See below ("Special conditions") if any special conditions exist for your country
Application procedure

To apply, you need to:

  • Fill out the online application form and print it
  • Get authorized copies of all of your documents (Original documents must be provided upon enrolment at Bamberg but should not be sent via postal mail)
  • Send your documents via postal mail to our Academic Registrar's Office:
    • Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg
      Kapuzinerstraße 25
      96047 Bamberg
AdmissionUpon filling your online application form, you will receive a link for a personal account (incl. password). Once you have been admitted, you can download your letter of admission from this platform. Paper letters are no longer issued.

Special conditions apply for students who have earned their certificate(s) in one of the following countries:

  • China, Vietnam: an APS certificate has to be provided
  • Mongolia: an APS certificate should be provided if possible
  • Georgia: Georgian applicants must have all of their documents (school leaving certificate, university diploma, transcript of records, etc.) authenticated by an apostille, i.e. a validation stamp
  • Iran: Iranian applicants need to provide have all of their documents (school leaving certificate, university diploma, transcript of records, etc.) legalized by the German Embassy in Teheran
  • China, Iran, Korea, Turkey, Spain,Colombia: Certificate of university entrance examination