Telephone: +49 951 863 2077
Fax: +49 951 863 5076
Consultation hour: Tuesday, 14:00 - 15:00 (by appointment)
Full Professor of Information Systems, University of Bamberg
Thorsten Staake holds the chair of Information Systems and Energy Efficient Systems at the University of Bamberg and is co-director of the Bits to Energy Labs, a research initiative of ETH Zurich and the University of St. Gallen. He and his team are working on the digital networking of products with the aim of developing services for the emerging Internet of Things and on supporting companies in creating suitable innovation processes. A particular focus of the research is the combination of machine learning methods with concepts from behavioural economics.
In addition to his faculty position, Thorsten is a co-founder and member of the supervisory boards of the cleantech companies BEN Energy AG (machine learning methods for energy services) and Amphiro AG (IoT components for digital faucets) as well as a member of the supervisory boards of Hoval AG (heating and air conditioning technology) and Zumtobel Group (lighting solutions, lighting components and related services).
With over 4.000 citations from over 100 publications (including Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Nature Energy, Global Environmental Change, Energy, Energy Policy, Transportation Research), Thorsten is an active member of the Information Systems and Energy Informatics research community. He received scholarships from the Swiss National Science Foundation and the Centre for Technology Transfer and won several start-up awards.
Prior to his current positions, Thorsten worked at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich, the Auto-ID Labs at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Infineon Technologies, and Clariant. He holds a PhD in business administration from the University of St. Gallen (Dr. oec), a diploma (Dipl.-Ing.) in electrical engineering and information technology from TU Darmstadt, and a M.Sc. in electrical and computer engineering from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
A list of selected research projects is avaialble at www.bits-to-energy.ch
- Günther, S., Staake, T., Schöb, S., Tiefenbeck, V.: The behavioral response to a corporate carbon offset program: A field experiment on adverse effects and mitigation strategies. Global Environmental Change (forthcoming)
- Wenig J., Sodenkamp M., Staake T. (2019). Battery versus infrastructure: Tradeoffs between battery capacity and charging infrastructure for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Applied Energy, Volume 255, December 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.113787
- Sodenkamp M., Wenig J., Thiesse F., Staake T. (2019). Who can drive electric? Segmentation of car drivers based on longitudinal GPS travel data. Energy Policy, Volume 130, July 2019, 111-129. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0301421519302216?via%3Dihub
- Tiefenbeck V., Wörner A., Schöb S., Fleisch E., Staake T. (2018) Real-time feedback promotes energy conservation in the absence of volunteer selection bias and monetary incentives. Nature Energy. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-018-0282-1
- Tiefenbeck, V., Götte, L., Degan, K., Lalive R., Fleisch, E., Staake, T. (2018) Overcoming Salience Bias: How Real-Time-Feedback Fosters Resource Conservation. Management Science 64(3).
- Schopfer, S., Tiefenbeck, V., Fleich, E., Staake, Th. (2017). Providing primary frequency control with residential scale photovoltaic-battery systems. Computer Science - Research and Development. (forthcoming)
- Schöb, S., Günther, S., Regensburger, K., Staake, Th. (2017) NIWM: non-intusive water monitoring to uncvoer heat energy use in households. Computer Science - Research and Development. (forthcoming)
- Sodenkamp, M., Kozlovskiy, I., Hopf, K., Staake, T. (2017). Smart Meter Data Analytics for Enhanced Energy Efficiency in the Residential Sector. Wirtschaftsinformatik 2017, St. Gallen, Switzerland, February
- Sodenkamp, M., Kozlovskiy, I., Staake, T. (2016). Supervised classification with interdependent variables to support targeted energy efficiency measures in the residential sector. Decision Analytics 3(1), p.1. Springer
- Sodenkamp, M., Kozlovskiy, I., Staake, T. (2015) Gaining IS Business Value through Big Data Analytics: A Case Study of the Energy Sector. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Ft. Worth, USA, December
- Wenig, J., Sodenkamp, M., Staake, T. (2015) Data-based Assessment of Plug-in Electric Vehicle Driving. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (forthcoming)
- Beckel, C., Sadamoria, L., Staake T., Santini, S., Revealing Household Characteristics from Smart Meter Data, Energy (forthcoming)
- Paefgen, J., Staake, T., Fleisch, E. (2014) Multivariate exposure modeling of accident risk: Insights from Pay-as-you-drive insurance data. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice (61), 27-40
- Paefgen, J., Staake, T., Thiesse F. (2013) Evaluation and aggregation of pay-as-you-drive insurance rate factors: A classification analysis approach. Decision Support Systems (56), 192-20
- Tiefenbeck, V., Staake, T., Roth, K., Sachs, O. (2013) For better or for worse? Empirical evidence of moral licensing in a behavioral energy conservation campaign. Energy Policy (57), 160-171
- Loock, C., Staake, T., Thiesse, F. (2013) Motivating energy-efficient behavior with Green IS: An investigation of goal setting and the role of defaults. MIS Quarterly 37(4), 1313-A5
- Tiefenbeck, V., Tasic, V., Staake, T., Goette, L. (2013) Real-time feedback and social dynamics in energy conservation: Evidence from randomized trials with 50,000 showers. Behavior, Energy and Climate Change (BECC), Sacramento, CA, USA, November 18-20
- Tiefenbeck, V., Tasic, V., Schoeb, S., Staake, T. (2013) Mechatronics to drive environmental sustainability: Measuring, visualizing and transforming consumer patterns on a large scale. Energy Informatics, Vienna, Austria, November 12-13
- Burger, N., Staake, T., Fleisch, E., Hierold, C. (2013) Managing technology development teams – exploring the case of microsytems and nanosystems. R&D Management (43), 162-186
- Loock, C., Landwehr, J., Staake, T., Fleisch, E., Pentland, A. (2012) The influence of reference frame and population density on the effectiveness of social normative feedback on electricity consumption. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Orlando, FL, December 16-19
- Paefgen, J., Staake, T., Thiesse, E. (2012) Resolving the misalignment between consumer privacy concerns and ubiquitous IS design: The case of usage-based insurance. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Orlando, FL, December 16-19
- Loock, C., Staake, T., Landwehr, J. (2011) Green IS design and energy conservation: An empirical investigation of social normative feedback. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Shanghai, P.R. China, December 04-07
- Baeriswyl, M., Przepiorka, W., Staake, T. (2011) Identifying individuals’ preferences using games: A field experiment in promoting sustainable energy consumption. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Shanghai, P.R. China, December 04-07
- Loock, C., Landwehr, J., Staake, T., Fleisch, E., Herrmann, A. (2011) I am green: The role of effort and image on green identity signaling. European Marketing Association Conference (EMAC), Ljubljana, Slovenia, May 24-27, 1-7
- Staake, T., Thiesse, F., Fleisch, E. (2012) Business strategies in the counterfeit market. Journal of Business Research 65(5), 658-665
- Thiesse, F., Staake, T., Schmitt, P., Fleisch, E. (2011) The Rise of the 'next-generation bar code': An international RFID adoption study. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal 16(5), 328-345
- Ilic, A., Staake, T., Fleisch, E. (2009) Using sensor information to reduce the carbon footprint of perishable goods. IEEE Pervasive Computing 8(1), 22-29
- Staake, T., Thiesse, F., Fleisch, E. (2009) The emergence of counterfeit trade: A literature review. European Journal of Marketing 32(3/4), 320-349
- Ilic, A., Ng, J., Bowman, P., Staake, T. (2009) The value of RFID for RTI management. Electronic Markets (19), 125-135