Telephone: +49 951 863 2077
Fax: +49 951 863 5076
Consultation hour: Tuesday, 13:00 - 14:00 (by appointment)
Full Professor of Information Systems, University of Bamberg
Thorsten Staake is professor and chair of the Energy Efficient Systems Group at the University of Bamberg. He is also lecturer at the University of St. Gallen and co-director of the Bits to Energy Lab, a joint research initiative of ETH Zurich and the University of St. Gallen. Thorsten and his team are dedicated to combine machine learning with insights from behavioural economics. His ambition is to build powerful and financially attractive digital services with a strong focus on integrating end consumers, and to support companies with their digitalization strategy.
In addition to his faculty position, Thorsten is co-founder and member of the board of the cleantech companies BEN Energy AG (data analytics and customer engagement software for utility companies) and Amphiro AG (IoT stack for faucets), respectively, and member of the board of Hoval AG (climate control solutions).
With over 4,000 citations from over 100 publications (including Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Nature Energy, Elsevier Energy, Energy Policy, Transportation Research), Thorsten is an active member of the Information Systems and Energy Informatics research community. He received scholarships from the Swiss National Science Foundation and the Centre for Technology Transfer and won several start-up awards.
Prior to his current positions, Thorsten worked at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich, the Auto-ID Labs at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Infineon Technologies, and Clariant. He holds a PhD in business administration from the University of St. Gallen (Dr. oec), a diploma (Dipl.-Ing.) in electrical engineering and information technology from TU Darmstadt, and a M.Sc. in electrical and computer engineering from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
A list of selected research projects is avaialble at www.bits-to-energy.ch
- Wenig J., Sodenkamp M., Staake T. (2019). Battery versus infrastructure: Tradeoffs between battery capacity and charging infrastructure for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Applied Energy, Volume 255, December 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.113787
- Sodenkamp M., Wenig J., Thiesse F., Staake T. (2019). Who can drive electric? Segmentation of car drivers based on longitudinal GPS travel data. Energy Policy, Volume 130, July 2019, 111-129. https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1Yr7U14YGgbUv8, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2019.03.048
- Tiefenbeck V., Wörner A., Schöb S., Fleisch E., Staake T. (2018) Real-time feedback promotes energy conservation in the absence of volunteer selection bias and monetary incentives. Nature Energy. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-018-0282-1
- Tiefenbeck, V., Götte, L., Degan, K., Lalive R., Fleisch, E., Staake, T. (2018) Overcoming Salience Bias: How Real-Time-Feedback Fosters Resource Conservation. Management Science 64(3).
- Schopfer, S., Tiefenbeck, V., Fleich, E., Staake, Th. (2017). Providing primary frequency control with residential scale photovoltaic-battery systems. Computer Science - Research and Development. (forthcoming)
- Schöb, S., Günther, S., Regensburger, K., Staake, Th. (2017) NIWM: non-intusive water monitoring to uncvoer heat energy use in households. Computer Science - Research and Development. (forthcoming)
- Sodenkamp, M., Kozlovskiy, I., Hopf, K., Staake, T. (2017). Smart Meter Data Analytics for Enhanced Energy Efficiency in the Residential Sector. Wirtschaftsinformatik 2017, St. Gallen, Switzerland, February
- Sodenkamp, M., Kozlovskiy, I., Staake, T. (2016). Supervised classification with interdependent variables to support targeted energy efficiency measures in the residential sector. Decision Analytics 3(1), p.1. Springer
- Sodenkamp, M., Kozlovskiy, I., Staake, T. (2015) Gaining IS Business Value through Big Data Analytics: A Case Study of the Energy Sector. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Ft. Worth, USA, December
- Wenig, J., Sodenkamp, M., Staake, T. (2015) Data-based Assessment of Plug-in Electric Vehicle Driving. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (forthcoming)
- Beckel, C., Sadamoria, L., Staake T., Santini, S., Revealing Household Characteristics from Smart Meter Data, Energy (forthcoming)
- Paefgen, J., Staake, T., Fleisch, E. (2014) Multivariate exposure modeling of accident risk: Insights from Pay-as-you-drive insurance data. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice (61), 27-40
- Paefgen, J., Staake, T., Thiesse F. (2013) Evaluation and aggregation of pay-as-you-drive insurance rate factors: A classification analysis approach. Decision Support Systems (56), 192-20
- Tiefenbeck, V., Staake, T., Roth, K., Sachs, O. (2013) For better or for worse? Empirical evidence of moral licensing in a behavioral energy conservation campaign. Energy Policy (57), 160-171
- Loock, C., Staake, T., Thiesse, F. (2013) Motivating energy-efficient behavior with Green IS: An investigation of goal setting and the role of defaults. MIS Quarterly 37(4), 1313-A5
- Tiefenbeck, V., Tasic, V., Staake, T., Goette, L. (2013) Real-time feedback and social dynamics in energy conservation: Evidence from randomized trials with 50,000 showers. Behavior, Energy and Climate Change (BECC), Sacramento, CA, USA, November 18-20
- Tiefenbeck, V., Tasic, V., Schoeb, S., Staake, T. (2013) Mechatronics to drive environmental sustainability: Measuring, visualizing and transforming consumer patterns on a large scale. Energy Informatics, Vienna, Austria, November 12-13
- Burger, N., Staake, T., Fleisch, E., Hierold, C. (2013) Managing technology development teams – exploring the case of microsytems and nanosystems. R&D Management (43), 162-186
- Loock, C., Landwehr, J., Staake, T., Fleisch, E., Pentland, A. (2012) The influence of reference frame and population density on the effectiveness of social normative feedback on electricity consumption. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Orlando, FL, December 16-19
- Paefgen, J., Staake, T., Thiesse, E. (2012) Resolving the misalignment between consumer privacy concerns and ubiquitous IS design: The case of usage-based insurance. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Orlando, FL, December 16-19
- Loock, C., Staake, T., Landwehr, J. (2011) Green IS design and energy conservation: An empirical investigation of social normative feedback. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Shanghai, P.R. China, December 04-07
- Baeriswyl, M., Przepiorka, W., Staake, T. (2011) Identifying individuals’ preferences using games: A field experiment in promoting sustainable energy consumption. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Shanghai, P.R. China, December 04-07
- Loock, C., Landwehr, J., Staake, T., Fleisch, E., Herrmann, A. (2011) I am green: The role of effort and image on green identity signaling. European Marketing Association Conference (EMAC), Ljubljana, Slovenia, May 24-27, 1-7
- Staake, T., Thiesse, F., Fleisch, E. (2012) Business strategies in the counterfeit market. Journal of Business Research 65(5), 658-665
- Thiesse, F., Staake, T., Schmitt, P., Fleisch, E. (2011) The Rise of the 'next-generation bar code': An international RFID adoption study. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal 16(5), 328-345
- Ilic, A., Staake, T., Fleisch, E. (2009) Using sensor information to reduce the carbon footprint of perishable goods. IEEE Pervasive Computing 8(1), 22-29
- Staake, T., Thiesse, F., Fleisch, E. (2009) The emergence of counterfeit trade: A literature review. European Journal of Marketing 32(3/4), 320-349
- Ilic, A., Ng, J., Bowman, P., Staake, T. (2009) The value of RFID for RTI management. Electronic Markets (19), 125-135