It is recommended to start with the search for accommodation as early as possible. Those who are admitted as a student are allowed to apply for a room in a hall of residence/student dormitory. The rent for a room varies. Alternatively, students may of course also look for private accommodation.
Halls of Residence/Student Dormitories
Those who wish to apply for a room in a hall of residence/student dormitory must take up direct contact and ask for the application forms:
- Collegium Oecumenicum Bamberg (COE)
- Joseph-Stiftung Bamberg
- Baugenossenschaft für den Stadt- und Landkreis Bamberg e.G.
- Stadtbau GmbH Bamberg
- Academic Residence
Please note that this list is not a recommendation, but is for information purposes only.
In most halls of residence/student dormitories, there are tutors who assist new and international students when they arrive. Please enquire directly with your hall of residence/student dormitory.
Beginning of Rental Contract
The date of the beginning of the rental contract is set by the hall of residence owner and is non-negotiable:
- 1 October: for the winter semester
- 1 April: for the summer semester
This means that you have to pay the rent even if you arrive in Bamberg later. The rental contract is for a minimum duration of one semester (six months).
Rent and Deposit
- The rent includes a fixed charge for water and electricity (Betriebskosten). Residents who use more than is covered by this rate have to pay the difference according to the final invoice which is issued when moving out.
- In addition to the monthly rent, each tenant is required to make a security deposit once at the beginning of the rental contract. When moving out, the deposit can only be refunded in full if the room is handed over in its initial condition. This might mean, for example, that you have to paint the room’s walls when moving out.
Rooms and Furnishings
- single apartments
- double apartments
- three-room apartments
The double and three-room apartments have a common entrance but separate internal doors that can be locked individually.
Included in basic furnishings:
- kitchenette (two hotplates, one refrigerator), one bathroom
- wardrobe, desk, bed stand, bed with mattress, chair, one bookshelf
Not included (this must be brought along or purchased in Bamberg):
- bed linens: bed sheets, duvet covers, pillows, blankets
- pots, pans, plates, cutlery, water kettle, other kitchen utensils
- vacuum cleaner
The dormitories include communal rooms, bicycle parking and washing machines.
Specific to use of the washing machines and dryers in halls of residence/dormitories operated by the 'Studentenwerk':
Use is only possible with a University of Bamberg student identity card that has been topped up with money before use.