Frequently Asked Questions

Find some frequently asked questions here:


Find the application deadlines here.

We recommend that you apply for the summer semester by January 15 at the latest and for the winter semester by July 15 in order to ensure that the enrollment process can be completed on time.

Please send your application to the following address:


Mailing address:
University of Bamberg
Enrolment Office (section II/1)
D-96045 Bamberg

Address for parcels:
University of Bamberg
Kapuzinerstraße 16
D-96047 Bamberg

Important notice: If the Mailing address is not applicable in your country (zip code 96045 unknown), please use the address for parcels!

If you send your documents via post, courier will deliver them to the central post office of the university. If can take some days until they reach the Enrolment Office. When we received the application, we will scan them. You will then notified by the systems automatically via email. From this point on, you will be able to follow up the application status in the online portal.

The enrolment office can't give you information on your eligibility, since this work is done by the examination boards. Please refrain from such enquiries. The only way to get an answer to this question is to hand in a complete application with all the necessary documents, which we can process to the examination board.  

There is no application fee at the University of Bamberg.

The University of Bamberg has no cooperation with uni-assist. Conversion of your grade is done by the academic registrar. We use the bayerische Formel and adhere to the guidlines set by the Kultusministerkonferenz.

Application period for the winter semester starts around mid-may, application period for the summer semester around mid-novembre.

For applicants who need visa it is recommended to send a complete application for the winter semester until July, 15th, for the summer semester around January, 15th. However, these dates are not a deadline.

Classes for the summer semester start around 15th of april, classes for the winter semester around 15th of october. Detailed information can be found here.

Usually, it's not necessary to send us a whole new application. Your letter of admission can be updated for the semester you wish to enroll - as long as the examination regulations haven't changed. Please contact us, we'll check this and either send you the updated letter of admission as PDF then or recommend a new application.

An application for the semester after the deadline, which is the last date for enrollment for most of our master's degrees, is not possible. Please do not send us your documents without an application form! We won't be able to process your application since an application number is missing.

English proficiency letters are not accepted as language proof by the University of Bamberg, since they do not refer to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Thus, a comparison to other applicants is not possible. Please hand in one of the following certificates to proof your English proficiency: 

  • UNIcert
  • Cambridge Certificate

Online Application Form

Higher Education Entry Qualification means your school leaving certificate in most cases. However, some Countries have a University Entrance exam (e.g. Spain, Turkey, Iran, China, Colombia).

Please choose first "im Ausland (aHR_39)" and the date of the acquisition. If you know your mark in the German grading system, please fill in the mark without a comma (e.g. 24 if you achieved a GPA of 2,4). If you don't your mark, you can fill in 10.

Last thing to do is to choose the country, where your Higher Education Entry Qualification was acquired.

Please fill in the semester you were first enroled at a Higher Education Institution ever i.e. usually the semester you started your undergraduate studies.

Admission & denial

You can apply again in the following semesters. In this case, all you need to do is to send us a new online application form (printed out & signed) and the additional documents, which were not part of your previous application.