German Language Proficiency
In order to take up studies with German as the language of instruction at the University of Bamberg, you need proof of German language skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) for most Master's programs. Please note that admission with a lower level is only possible with a condition for the Master's program 'Cultural Studies of the Near East'!
** In the study programs for which the C2 level must be proven, provisional enrollment is granted upon presentation of proof at the C1 level with the condition that the module "German as a Foreign Language for International German Studies Students C2" (12 ECTS, module sub-examinations: portfolio and oral examination) in accordance with the examination regulations for language practice modules of the Otto-Friedrich University of Bamberg or equivalent proof of language proficiency at the C2 level must be proven by the end of the second semester at the latest.
If you would like to learn German at the University of Bamberg, it is possible to attend a DSH semester course. For more information, please contact the International Office.
* Without German language skills you can only apply for some of our International Study Programs:
If you would like to learn German at the University of Bamberg, there is the possibility to attend a DSH semester course. For more information, please contact the International Office.
The following certificates are recognized as proof of level B2 CEFR:
- German Language Examination for University Admission with an overall result of DSH-1.
- Goethe Certificate B2
- Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) with level 3 in all sub-skills; here the 4 individual subjects must be passed in one examination date
- telc German B2 University
- ÖSD Certificate B2
German studies do not count as proof of German language skills!
Master's programs that require German language skills at the DSH-2 level:
- Klinische Psychologie und Psychotherapie
German language skills on the DSH-2 level can also be proven by one of the following certificates:
- Goethe Certificate C1
- TestDaF level 4 or 5 in all four examination parts
- German Language Diploma Level II
- telc German C1 University
- ÖDS Certificate C1
Master's programs that require German language skills at the DSH-3 level:
- Deutsche Sprachwissenschaft
- Neuere deutsche Literatur:Geschichte, Gegenwart, Vermittlung
- Joint Master's Degree Deutsche Philologie des Mittelalters und der Frühen Neuzeit
German language proficiency at the DSH-3 level can also be demonstrated by one of the following certificates:
- Goethe Certificate C2