The Master’s programme is open to international candidates; it aims to reach individuals from developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America as well as from the international context of development cooperation.
It is designed to fit the professional demands of management staff or persons involved in teacher training, school administration and development services in the field of education.
This programme is specifically developed to respond to the skills shortage with regard to quality development in education in the Great Lakes region of Sub-Saharan Africa. Candidates from different parts of Africa, Asia and South America can also apply for the programme.
The Master’s programme addresses graduates with
- A Bachelor’s degree (at least 180 ECTS-Points or equivalent) in the humanities, cultural studies or social science or
- A Bachelor’s degree (at least 180 ECTS-Points or equivalent) in teacher training; graduates from teacher training programmes of universities and teacher training colleges for all types of schools (primary and secondary schools) will be admitted.
- At least three years of professional experience in schools excluding the traineeship/preparatory teaching period or
- At least three years of professional experience in development agencies in the field of education.
- Sufficient language skills in English to be able to follow the course of studies.
- Other appropriate qualifications may be considered on an individual basis.
- Working in the education system or in a field related to education is an indispensable condition.
- Candidates exceeding the age of 40 have to justify their motives in a letter.
Students should have a background from heads of schools or teachers training colleges or those responsible for in-service teacher training, university teachers who train future teachers, to heads of school departments in different church administrations. In addition, education specialists who are working for NGO’s, government officials dealing with improvement of education quality, local educational authorities and school administrators can also apply.
Criteria for the selection process are:
- Academic achievement
- Professional experiences
In case of equal quality, priority is given to women and members of Bread for the World - Protestant Service for Development programmes in the educational sector.
STEP 1: Type of Participation
Prospective students can apply for the following types of participation in the Master’s programme:
- Full participation in 15 modules and completion of MA degree
- Partial participation in one or more of the following
- Quality education, social justice & development (Modules: M3, M9, M5)
- Scientific knowledge and evidence-based educational policy (Module: M6, M7, M8)
- Project management (Module: M12, M13, M14)
STEP 2: Types of Funding
The following funding options are possible:
- Apply for Bread for the World scholarship (full funding)
- Provide proof of funding from another organization
- Provide proof of personal funding
For scholarship options please refer to the scholarships section.
For information on study fees and programme costs please refer to [hier link zu section].
STEP 3: Submit Application
Submit all required documents by January 15, 2023 tosba.ma-educationalquality(at)uni-bamberg.de. Required documents are listed XXX.
STEP 4: Review of Application Documents
In the first round of selection all applications documents will be reviewed to verify if they meet the formal criteria. For more information please refer to the section on application requirements.
STEP 5: Interviews with Potential Candidates
Phone interview will be conducted with prospective students Interviews will last about 20 minutes and will be held in English. The objective is to assess applicants’ language skill and general understanding of education and education systems. For more information please refer to the section on language skills.
The final decision about selection will be made by the IMPEQ Steering Committee.
All applicants will be informed in April-May 2023 about the final decision.
Please submit the following documents as part of your application. Only complete applications will be considered.
Documents provided by applicant:
- Application form (pdf(119.7 KB, 5 Seiten), doc(31.2 KB, 5 Seiten))
- Letter of Motivation
- Curriculum Vitae
- A one-page profile of the organization where the candidate is working
- Authenticated copies of certificates from secondary schools
- Authenticated copies of national exam certificate (university entry certificate)
- Authenticated copies of university certificates (or other certificates, such as transcript of records, diploma supplement) in German, English or French translation
- Authenticated copies of language certificates
- Statement of willingness to work on weekends(81.5 KB, 1 Seite)(see download form "willingness to work in weekends")
- Summary of post-graduate and continued education courses (see application form)
- Summary of trainings and workshops organized by applicant (see application form)
- Confirmation by employer that candidate will be given necessary time and infrastructure to participate in IMPEQ(118.3 KB, 2 Seiten) (see download form "Conformation by the employer")
- Health certificate(132.6 KB, 2 Seiten) (see download form “Health Certificate")
- TWO letters of recommendation(258.5 KB, 2 Seiten)(see download form “Letter of Recommendation")
- Candidates exceeding the age of 40 have to justify their motives in a letter(139.4 KB, 1 Seite).
Application documents must be sent to sba.ma-educationalquality(at)uni-bamberg.de by January 15, 2023.
Required documents and additional information concerning enrollment at the University of Bamberg will be given to selected candidates no later than June 30, 2023
The language of instruction is English.
Sufficient knowledge of English to be able to follow the course of studies is therefore indispensable.
Language skills are tested during the selection process.
As the Master's programme "Educational Quality in Developing Countries" is a programme of continuous education, academic fees apply:
- Study fee to be paid to the University of Bamberg (8.000,00 EUR)
- Costs of participation in blended-learning program incl. visa application and visa, accommodation, health and travel insurances, laptop, food, international and local travel (17.000,00 EUR)
Prospective students must provide proof funding (scholarship, personal fund) at the time of enrollment.