As part of your studies, you have the opportunity to study abroad for one semester. Depending on the start of your studies, this usually takes place in the 3rd or 4th semester but can also be completed in a 5th semester. The International Office will be happy to assist you in planning your stay at one of the more than 300 partner universities. You can find an up-to-date overview on the page studying abroad.

Important info for the application

  • The International Office organizes and coordinates the application process around your study abroad.
  • The International Office regularly offers information events where initial questions can be clarified.
  • For a stay abroad, proof of language proficiency must be provided in advance and enclosed with the application documents. Please take care of this in time, because the places are limited!
  • Some universities do not accept master's students. The potential applicant group of individual universities can be found on the pages of the International Office.
  • The most important information can also be found on the pages of the International Office in the sections European Programs or Overseas Programs.

Start of study in the winter semester

  • A stay abroad is possible in the 3rd semester (WS). However, an application must already be submitted in the 1st semester! The deadline for submitting the application documents to the International Office is the end of November! You can find all information about the application on the website of the International Office. Alternatively, a stay abroad is possible in an additional 5th semester (WS) (application then in the 3rd semester).
  • Since you have not yet completed any work in your first semester of the master's program by the end of November, you are applying with the work you have completed in your bachelor's program.

Start of study in the summer semester

  • You apply at the end of November in your 2nd semester for a stay abroad in the 4th semester (WS).
  • A stay abroad beginning in the summer semester is hardly possible due to the early start of the semester.

Credit transfer

With regard to the recognition of study achievements abroad, there are basically two possible variants:

  • Via individual Learning Agreements: In this case, students contact the relevant subject representatives in Bamberg(not Dr. Felix Stübben) prior to their stay abroad in order to conclude Learning Agreements for individual academic achievements. In this variant, individual Bamberg achievements (for example MAEES1.2 Advanced Macroeconomics) are replaced by achievements abroad.
  • Via a Learning Agreement with the Examination Board EES (Dr. Stübben). In this case, the students conclude a learning agreement in advance, usually amounting to 24 ECTS credits. After the stay abroad, the achievements will be credited to the module group "MAEES11 Interdisciplinary Specialization".

A combination of both variants is possible! The following regulations refer exclusively to Learning Agreements of the 2nd variant:

  • A learning agreement of usually 24 ECTS credits must be concluded.
  • Students complete the module group MAEES11 Interdisciplinary Specialization (the "free" 24 ECTS credits in the elective specialization) entirely abroad.
  • Accordingly, economics, business administration, political science and sociology modules, as well as statistics modules and/or a second foreign language can be taken.
  • If achievements in the area of Interdisciplinary Specialization have already been made in Bamberg, less than the usual 24 ECTS points can be additionally brought in via achievements abroad (e.g. 6 ECTS points via a module in Bamberg and 18 ECTS points via modules abroad).

In the run-up to your study abroad, you agree on a Learning Agreement in order to ensure the recognition of the completed study abroad achievements. Please submit this learning agreement(238.8 KB, 2 pages)(238.8 KB, 2 pages) form completely filled out and signed to Dr. Felix Stübben (preferably by email). You can also submit the course certificates and descriptions by email.

Study Abroad FAQs

You can also complete your studies abroad at universities that are not partner universities. This may be necessary, for example, if your applications for a study place at a partner university were not successful. However, there must be sufficient business and social science courses available at this university to complete the Learning Agreement. In this case, you will have to organize your stay and finance yourself. It is essential that you consult with the International Office in advance.

As a student, you take care of the course selection at the respective foreign university on your own responsibility. In terms of content, the following criteria should be met:

  • The course contents should be appropriate to the study progress in order to achieve the meaningful interlocking of the foreign study achievements with your Bamberg studies. This means, in particular, that the courses must be master courses and not equivalent to modules, especially from the basic program in Bamberg (module group MAEES1).
  • The learning agreement should support a career-qualifying focus. It is, therefore, worthwhile to start thinking about the time after the master's degree before the semester abroad.
  • Courses with a total of up to 24 ECTS credits can be included in the Learning Agreement. The same options exist as in the module group MAEES11 in Bamberg (see module handbook EES).

To check whether the courses are suitable, a course description with details of the ECTS points or SWS must be attached to the Learning Agreement application. This can be an outline, a syllabus, a printout from the course catalog or similar. Self-written or handwritten course summaries and lists are not sufficient. In particular, it should be clear from the descriptions that the modules are master's modules.

In your Master's program, 24 ECTS credits are usually allocated for study abroad. Depending on the region where you do your study abroad, the calculation is different.

Within Europe, ECTS points are awarded for successful participation in courses. These can be directly credited to the required 48 ECTS points.
Example: You attend a course at an English university for which 5 ECTS points are awarded. These points are directly credited to this extent.

Outside Europe
Non-European universities do not use an ECTS point system. Therefore, a conversion must be made using the semester hours per week (SWS). 12 SWS result in 24 ECTS points.

Conversion SWS - ECTS points
The following information is required in the Learning Agreement for the conversion:

  • Lecture hours per week
  • Minutes of a lecture hour (e.g. 45 or 60 minutes)
  • Number of lecture weeks per semester

The calculation of the SWS is done automatically in the Learning Agreement EES (see above under "Credit transfer"). The calculated value is then multiplied by 2 to give the ECTS points.
If there is an official conversion of the foreign achievements into ECTS points at the foreign university, you can also submit this.

Please note that crediting of SWS is not possible if information on ECTS credits is possible.

You can also attend block seminars, language courses or complete internships during your stay abroad and have them count towards the 24 ECTS credits. Please note the following information:


Block seminars
Crediting is done in the same way as for normal courses. The calculation is done by dividing the total duration of the seminar by 45 (duration of one SWS in Bamberg) and by 14 (number of semester weeks).
Example: A two-day block seminar has 8 hours each.
8 hours x 2 days = 960 minutes
960 minutes : 45 : 14 = 1.52 SWS
1.52 SWS x 2 = 3.04 ECTS points


Language courses
Language courses can also be included in the Learning Agreement up to a maximum of 12 ECTS, as provided for in the examination regulations in the module group "Interdisciplinary Specialization". A language that has already been completed at the same level in a Bachelor's or Master's program cannot be included. The same language as in module group MAEES2 cannot be included.



The study abroad is intended to support a professionally qualifying focus. Therefore, up to one-third of the 24 ECTS credits to be earned abroad (i.e. a maximum of 8 ECTS or 4 SWS) can be replaced by a professionally qualifying internship abroad. Internships in Germany, on the other hand, are not included in the Bachelor EES and, therefore, cannot be credited. Also, an internship abroad can only be credited in combination with a study period abroad!

For this purpose, the internship abroad must be suitable in terms of content (companies, banks, insurance companies, ministries, etc.) and last at least one month full-time. In this case, the professional internship is part of the LA and must be agreed upon with the LA coordinator.

The internship abroad must be or have been completed during the time of your Master's program, i.e. not necessarily during, but alternatively also before or after the study semester abroad. Furthermore, the internship abroad does not necessarily have to be completed in the same country as the study semester abroad.

Regarding the initiation and funding of internships abroad, see also the page of the International Office.

In principle, a Learning Agreement is binding on both sides. You should therefore plan your course selection carefully in advance. Nevertheless, it may happen that changes in the learning agreement become necessary.

Since usually only individual courses are exchanged, it is sufficient in a first step to inform the subject advisor by mail about the planned changes, including all relevant evidence and descriptions for the newly included courses. You will then receive his or her approval.

Once the final course selection for both semesters has been made, you will need to complete an amended Learning Agreement. This can be a signed scan if you wish.

After your semester abroad, please submit the official grade transcript of your achievements to the Student Advisory Service (preferably as a scan by mail).

In addition to the grade transcript is required for conversion and credit:

  • A Learning Agreement for the Master's program EES with content identical to the grade transcript. In case of changes in course selection, please submit a new and appropriately revised Learning Agreement EES (see above under "Credit Transfer").
  • The data sheet(88.7 KB, 1 page)(88.7 KB) for the recognition of foreign study achievements
  • If applicable, proof of your internship abroad

You can also send the grade transcript by mail to the Student Advisory Service. No liability will be assumed in the event of loss or damage to the mailing. It is therefore recommended that you submit the documents in person or send them by mail.

A faculty-wide policy on grade conversion of foreign coursework can be found on the EES Examination Committee pages.

You can take a leave of absence for the semester abroad. Leave of absence semesters must be applied for at the Student Office, stating and proving a reason (e.g. study abroad). The fees for the Studentenwerk and the semester ticket still apply. The current amount can be found on the re-registration page.
Please note that an initial registration for exams and for the master thesis is not possible during a leave of absence!

Information on upgrading: If you take a leave of absence for the semester abroad, this semester will not be included in the calculation of the subject semesters. This may become relevant, as the number of completed semesters is used to determine the maximum duration of studies (six semesters).

The information on your degree certificate regarding the duration of your studies is not affected by a semester of leave. Your certificate will show the date of the last examination and not the number of semesters completed.

A compulsory registration for exams in Bamberg, which were not passed or missed before the start of the stay abroad, for the following semester (= semester abroad) is not provided. However, a repetition is also possible during your study abroad.

You can take a repeat examination in Bamberg during a semester abroad even if you are on leave of absence , provided that you have submitted a corresponding application to the Examination Office in advance and by the end of the regular registration period at the latest.

Please note that initial registration for exams is not possible during a leave of absence.

  • Normally, only the best grades (up to) 24 ECTS points are converted and credited in the module group "MAEES11 Interdisciplinary Specialization". Thus, by earning more ECTS points, poorer performances may not need to be credited.
  • Alternatively, you can use additional ECTS points to replace outstanding achievements, e.g. in the module groups MAEES3-10. In this case, contact the Bamberg subject representatives already before your stay abroad and clarify whether the desired subject abroad can be credited for a Bamberg subject. You will have to conclude additional learning agreements with the subject representatives.
  • In order to compare the subjects in terms of content, a description of the foreign course is required from the subject representative.
  • Credit can be given as soon as you submit the transcript of records (foreign transcript) and the credit form to the academic advisor.

A combination of both variants 1. and 2. is possible.

Courses can of course only be credited either as part of the 24 ECTS points (MAEES11 Interdisciplinary Specialization) or as an individual agreement!

Continue to part time study