B.A. programme “Medieval Studies”
The “Medieval Studies” Bachelor of Arts programme offers the opportunity to study and research the European Middle Ages from diverse perspectives with an emphasis on in various academic disciplines. Insight is provided into the methodological foundations of numerous liberal arts and sciences disciplines.
Studying in the heart of Bamberg, a UNESCO World Heritage City, provides the unique opportunity to directly experience the Middle Ages in the form of medieval architecture, art and authentic manuscripts. The integration of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Medieval Studies (ZEMAS) with the university and the rich variety of research institutions in Bamberg (state library and archives) enables an intense and practice-oriented course of study.
The students of the BA-programme "Medieval Studies" choose one out of various offered disciplines for each of three fields of knowledge which provide their own specific approaches to the structures and processes of the Middle Ages:
- Language and literature
English, German, Classical Philology, Orient Studies, Romance Studies und Slavic Studies
- Historical sources and theoretical texts
History, Historical Ancillary Science, Philosophy und Catholic Theology
- Material culture and visual representation
Archeology of the Middle Ages and Early Modern Period, Art History, Hertitage Science, Islamic Art History and Archeology
- Elective modules: to achive and enhance basic competences of cultural sciences (e.g. further language skills, applied computer science, religious traditions etc.)
- specific Medieval Studies Seminars: to work on explicitly interdisciplinary projects and to impart competences on interdisciplinary medieval research
- work placement (4 weeks minimum) and study trips (9 days minimum)
- General Studies: free choice out of all disciplines University offers. Ideal to enhance abilities and other interests
The BA-programme "Medieval Studies" provides a multi-perspective approach to the research on the Middle Ages
The educational objective is the ability:
- to analyse and interpret medieval texts, objects and results in a methodical and competent manner
- to adopt scholarly methods of the medieval studies in an interdisciplinary way
- to present and communicate scientific results to the general public
With the exemplary focus on medieval times the BA-programme imparts comprehensive competence in Arts and Humanities which can be translated on any other epoch.
It aquaints the students with the variety of scholarly approaches and effords the opportunity of international networking. The degree holder is qualified to present and communicate complex cultural correlations in occupational fields like archives, libraries and museums, for all kinds of exibiton planning and further education, cultural tourism and media etc.