Application with Funding ▼
Applications for the Starter Scholarships (period October 2024 - September 2025) are accepted from 15 December 2023 until 15 March 2024.
Your application must include the following documents:
- A cover letter that demonstrates your acquaintance with our programme and your qualifications in your subject area. Please also use this letter to briefly indicate which BAGSS Pillar(s) suit(s) your research interest best and name at least one BAGSS faculty member who could serve as a supervisor for your project.
- Your complete CV including full contact information
- Your research proposal of the planned dissertation project (only one research proposal) on at most 5 pages (font Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing).
- A work schedule (1 page) that also includes planned periods and destinations of research or field trips and a rough estimate of the associated costs.
- Scans of the following transcripts and certificates. a) School leaving certificates giving the right of entry to higher education in your home country with individual grades. b) All university transcripts for the bachelor's, master's or any other degrees stating all individual grades. c) All university diploma or degree certificates indicating the final grade, including an explanation of the grading system (i.e. maximum attainable grade, minimum grade to pass, etc.). If your transcripts or certificates have been issued in languages other than English or German certified translations need to be provided.
- Please include also a short self-written statement about your knowledge of German. While the programme is conducted entirely in English, willingness to learn German or improve existing German language skills is expected.
- A concise statement on your knowledge of social science research methods. This short, self-written description (not more than half a page, font Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing) should contain information on your methodological training or practical experience in applying these methods.
- In our online application form, you will be asked to name two referees whom BAGSS could contact for a reference regarding your academic performance. You are required to ask potential referees for their agreement before naming them in the application form and submitting their contact details (mail address and phone number).
Please, do not attach any documents other than those requested, otherwise your application will not be accepted.
All application materials must be submitted in English (except for certificates and transcripts, which may also be provided in German).
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide us with the original or certified copies of certificates/transcripts and, in case you are not a native speaker, documentation of English proficiency. English proficiency can be documented through
- one of the following English tests: UNIcert III (pass), CAE (pass), TOEFL (minimum score of 95), IELTS (minimum band score of 7) – please attach a copy of the official test results;
- an academic degree completed entirely in English, i.e. with a final thesis written in English. If your degree certificate and transcripts are not clear in that regard, please provide a confirmation letter of English proficiency from the degree-granting institution.
- Exceptions are made for nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, United States of America and New Zealand.
All documents need to be submitted as a single PDF (max. 30 MB).
In this single PDF, you must arrange your documents in the following order:
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Research Proposal
4. Work Schedule
5. Academic degree certificates and university grade transcripts
6. Proof of language proficiency
7. Short self-written statement about your knowledge of German
8. Statement of knowledge of research methods
Applications that are not submitted in this order will not be accepted.
Free software for creating PDFs and merging them into a single document is available on the internet, e.g. the PDFcreator.
Please, use your surname to name your application file (SURNAME.pdf; make sure to avoid special characters).
Please submit your application here.
In case of technical problems, please contact us: admissions.bagss(at)uni-bamberg.de
- We will send you a confirmation of receipt shortly after you submitted your application.
- The BAGSS Executive Committee will review all applications that meet the formal requirements.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview (usually online).
- The Winter Term 2024 will start on 14 October 2024.