Application Regular Membership ▼
When to apply?
The Application portal is open until 31 August 2019.
What application materials are required?
In order to be considered for a DAAD Scholarship, your application must include the following documents:
- A cover letter that demonstrates your acquaintance with our programme and your qualifications in your subject area.
- Your complete CV - including full contact information.
- An abstract of your research proposal (see below #4) of at most 1 page.
- Your research proposal of the planned dissertation project (only one research proposal) on at most 5 pages (font Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing). The proposal should include a work schedule. In the work schedule, please indicate planned periods and destinations of research or field trips.
- Scans of the following transcripts and certificates. a) School leaving certificates giving the right of entry to higher education in your home country, with individual grades. b) All university transcripts, for the bachelor's, master's or any other degrees, stating all individual grades. c) All university diploma or degree certificates indicating the final grade, including an explanation of the grading system (i.e. maximum attainable grade, minimum grade to pass, etc.). If your transcripts or certificates have been issued in other languages than English or German, then certified translations need to be provided.
- Proof of English language proficiency. Please attach a copy of one of the following official test results: IELTS (minimum band score of 7), TOEFL (minimum score of 95 ibt), CAE (pass), Unicert III (pass). An academic degree completed entirely in English, i.e. with a final thesis written in English is NOT accepted as a sufficient proof of your English language skills. You have to provide one of the above mentioned certificates. Exceptions are made for nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, United States of America and New Zealand.
- Please include also a short self-written statement about your knowledge of German. While the programme is conducted entirely in English, willingness to learn German or improve existing German language skills is expected.
- A concise statement on your knowledge of social science research methods. This short, self-written description (not more than half a page, font Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing) should contain information on your methodological training or practical experience in applying methods.
- Two letters of recommendation. These letters should be sent to us via post in a sealed envelope. Please use the form provided by the DAAD, which can be found here.
(Please do not include the letters of recommendation in your application file. The letters have to be sealed by your recommenders before they are handed to you.)
Your recommenders should send the letter to this address:
University of Bamberg
Bamberg Graduate School of Social Sciences
All application materials must be submitted in English (except for certificates and transcripts, which may also be provided in German). Please do not attach any documents other than those requested.
How to submit your application (via online application form)?
All documents need to be submitted as a single PDF (max. 30 MB).
In this single PDF, you must arrange your documents in the following order:
- Cover Letter
- Research Proposal
- Scans of school leaving certificate, university transcripts and degree certificates
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Short self-written statement about your knowledge of the German language
- Statement of knowledge of social science research methods
Two letters of recommendation need to be sent by your recommenders to us via post, in a sealed envelope; see section "What application materials are required?". The recommendation letters should not be included in the PDF file which you upload.
Applications that are not submitted in this order will not be accepted.
Free software for creating PDFs and merging them into a single document is available on the internet, e.g. the PDFcreator.
Please, use your surname to name your application file (SURNAME.pdf; make sure to avoid special characters).
Please submit the completed file using our online application form here.
Applications will be accepted between 15 May 2019 and 31 August 2019.
In case of technical problems, please contact us: admissions.bagss(at)uni-bamberg.de
What happens after I submitted my application?
- We will send you a confirmation of receipt shortly after you submitted your application.
- The BAGSS Executive Committee will review all applications that meet the formal requirements. The first review should have taken place by mid-September 2019.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a video conference. Presumably, these will take place by the end of September 2019.
- The Graduate School will make the final decision in October 2019. The second selection stage by the DAAD is supposed to take approximately two months.
- The summer term 2020 will start in April 2020.
- Please note that we cannot give individual feedback whether the individual letters of recommendation have arrived or not.