Francesco Di Salvo
Teaching and Research Assistant
M.Sc., Doctoral Candidate
Anschrift: An der Weberei 5, 96047 Bamberg
Telefon: +49-951-863 3107
Donnerstag, 13.00 bis 14.00 in WE5/04.091 (Anmeldung per Email wird empfohlen)
außerhalb: nach Vereinbarung
Francesco Di Salvo is a PhD candidate at the Otto-Friedrich University of Bamberg, focused in the field of Explainable Machine Learning (xAI) since 2023. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from the University of Palermo (Italy), and a Master of Science in Data Science and Engineering from the Polytechnic University of Turin (Italy).
His research interests lie in the intersection of model- and data-efficiency, explainability and robustness.
Before joining the xAI lab, between 2022 and 2023, Francesco worked as a research intern at NATO Center for Maritime Research and Experimentation (La Spezia, Italy), as part of the Young Scientist Internship Programme. He designed machine learning and deep learning algorithms to detect anomalies on underwater acoustic data.
Shortly before, he defended his Master's thesis, focused on Bayesian uncertainty on Contrast-Enhanced Breast CT images. The project was conducted in collaboration with the AXTI Lab of the Radboud University Medical Center (Nijmegen, Netherlands).
Furthermore, as a curricular internship, he spent four months as a Deep Learning Engineer Intern in AIKO - Infinite Ways of Autonomy, an Italian startup working on the autonomous space mission industry. He estimated the trajectory of a rover through monocular visual odometry methods, on planetary-like environments.
In his spare time, Francesco volunteered in academic associations, where he conducted monthly tutoring classes of calculus, linear algebra, and programming. He also mentored and coached incoming freshmen for their admission exams. Additionally, he served as a volunteer Machine Learning Engineer for Omdena, where he co-led a team of more than 20 volunteers. They developed machine learning algorithms for quantifying the impact of forest landscape restoration projects.
Outside of his professional activities, Francesco enjoys reading, cooking, and spending time outdoors playing volleyball, hiking, and doing any kind of water sports.
|2023 - Today||PhD Candidate at the xAI Lab of the Otto-Friedrich University Bamberg, Germany|
|2022-2023||Research Internship in anomaly detection for underwater acoustic data at NATO’s Center for Maritime Research and Experimentation (La Spezia, Italy)|
Research Internship in Bayesian uncertainty on contrast-enhanced breast CT scans at the Advanced X-ray Tomographic Imaging lab (Radboud University Medical Center, Nijmegen, Netherland
Curricular internship in Deep Learning for Monocular Visual Odometry in planetary-like environments at AIKO - Infinite Ways of Autonomy (Turin, Italy)
|2020-2022||Master of Science in Data Science and Engineering at Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy|
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering at University of Palermo, Italy
Main Research Interests
- Investigating the trade-off between model complexity and interpretability
- Developing robust models toward corrupted, noisy and out-of-distribution data
- Solving critical issues in Medical Image Analysis as lack of annotations, generalizability, model unlearning, interpretability and many more
- Harnessing the strengths of foundation models for efficient utilization in downstream tasks
- Master Thesis
- Di Salvo F.: Deep learning for breast cancer diagnosis in contrast-enhanced breast CT. Master's thesis, Polytechnic University of Turin (2022, unpublished)
Please check out our official bidding for thesis topics [Link to VC-Course] or contact me directly via email to request supervision of your Bachelor’s or Master’s Thesis.
- xAI-DL-M: Deep Learning Exercises
- xAI-Proj-M: Robust ML algorithms for real-world challenges
- xAI-Sem-M: Masterseminar Explainable Machine Learning
- xAI-MML-M: Mathematics of Machine Learning - Exercises
- 2022: Selected as top candidate for the Young Scientist Internship Programme at NATO Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation.
- 2022: Full scholarship for completing the master thesis at the Radboud University Medical Center (Nijmegen, Netherlands).
- 2020 - 2022: Two full scholarships based on academic track record (Polytechnic University of Turin).
- 2017 - 2020: Three full scholarships based on academic track record (University of Palermo)