Recommendations for contacting professors
- Before you start looking for a suitable supervisor or host, you should already have a concrete idea for your project.
- Please inform yourself in detail about the different faculties, institutes and professors at the University of Bamberg in order to find out who would be the most appropriate supervisor or host for you. Ideally, this is someone whose field of research covers the same or similar topics to your own.
- Once you have found the ideal potential supervisor or host for your project, please apply to her or him directly. Your application should consist of the following:
- cover or motivation letter
- curriculum vitae (including a list of publications if available)
- short research proposal (max. 5 pages; you will find guidelines for writing a research proposal here(126.6 KB))
- The more precisely you can both explain your reasons for choosing the University of Bamberg and argue why you believe that you can accomplish your project optimally with the professor you are addressing, the greater your chances of succeeding. Please also describe how you intend to fund your project.
- If you have the opportunity, you can also approach your potential host or supervisor in person, e.g. during a symposium or conference.
- If you would like to pursue doctoral studies at the University of Bamberg, please also note these further information.