Enrolment and Language Proficiency

English-language placement test

At the beginning of your programme, you will sit an English-language placement test. This test is purely diagnostic and cannot exclude you from the programme. It is merely intended to give you and us an idea of your English proficiency compared to that of your fellow students. The placement test takes place one week before the start of the lecture period. It is mandatory for all students of English and American Studies at the University of Bamberg.

More information about the placement test.

There are no specific admission requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in English and American Studies. You can begin your studies in the summer or winter semester. The only requirement for admission is a general or subject-specific school-leaving qualification permitting university admission or an equivalent qualification.

The University of Bamberg’s Academic Registrar’s Office is responsible for enrolling new students. For more information, see the page on enrolment.

To be successful in your studies, you will need good English proficiency at the level normally taught within five school years. At the beginning of your studies, your English proficiency will be evaluated in a placement test. Students of English and American Studies as a major subject must also have proficiency in another modern or ancient foreign language. For a modern foreign language, you need to provide evidence of proficiency at level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Knowledge of Latin or Ancient Greek may be proven with a school report from an officially recognised high school showing at least a ‘sufficient’ (ausreichend) result after three years of mandatory lessons in the first or second foreign language or an international equivalent thereof.

Because you only need to provide evidence of proficiency in a second foreign language other than English when registering your bachelor’s thesis, you may acquire this language over the course of your studies. You may use the ECTS points from your Studium Generale for this purpose. The Language Centre at the University of Bamberg offers a wide range of language courses.

International students

For questions regarding admission to the Bachelor of Arts programme, please see the information page of the International Office at the University of Bamberg at /studies/non-exchange-students-undergraduate, use the contact form on that page or write to bachelor.international(at)uni-bamberg.de.

Any further questions?

Do you have any further questions about the content of the degree course or its admission requirements? Please do not hesitate to contact the University of Bamberg's Student Advisory Service. For specific questions about course contents, contact the Subject-specific Advisory Service. You can find the right person to talk to under Contacts.