Welcome to the interactive Introduction to Corpus Basics
This is an open-resource self-learning package that is free to use for anyone interested in the application of corpora (large computer-readable text databases) to practical language problems in English.
Realized by Carina Großmann, Julia Schlüter (Homepage) and Katharina Deckert. Please contact us for feedback and comments.
- advanced students of English (for academic purposes/for special purposes),
- teachers of English (at secondary and tertiary levels), and
- anyone interested in corpus search techniques.
- a series of short easy-to-follow video tutorials,
- click-along demos punctuated by hands-on exercises,
- interactive feedback on your results, and
- the option to contact or give feedback to the providers.
In this course, corpora (i.e. text databases) are accessed through English-Corpora.org, a very popular and user-friendly interface.
- Users need to register here: Registration.
- You can:
- create an account free of charge (which entitles you to 20 searches per day),
- join an institutional license (if your university has one), or
- buy your own license (for more information, see https://www.english-corpora.org/premium.asp).
Learning package - START HERE!
Access the KorPLUS start page, which you find here: Introduction to Corpus Basics, and enter the inscription key "KorPLUS".
Contents of the course
- Introduction to corpora and corpus linguistics (corpus types, affordances and challenges)
- Basic queries (lists, wildcards, charts, sections)
- Advanced queries (synonyms, word sketches, collocates, comparison of words, lemmas, POS tags, key-word-in context)
- Additional information and exercises