On this page and its subpages, you will find information on the following aspects:

General Questions Concerning Studying and Living as a Master's and Joint Programme Student in Bamberg

Information on non-academic matters, such as accommodation, living costs etc. is provided by our International Office (Akademisches Auslandsamt). You can access a similar FAQ to this one on the website of the International Office. To access it, please click here.

Generally, the International Office provides a lot of information on applying to Bamberg, arriving in Bamberg, offers for get-togethers, specific support, etc. You can access their page here.



The duration is four semesters including the obligatory semester abroad, the master's thesis and all examinations.

The workload per semester is defined as 30 ECTS credits (approximately 750 working hours).

Yes, each of the partner universities admits a maximum of 10 students per year.

The programme generally starts in the winter/fall semester. For exceptions, please consult the academic coordinator at your entrance university.

Admission to this Master's Programme is granted to persons who have completed at least the equivalent of a Bachelor's or Diploma degree in English and/or American Studies (180 ECTS). Applicants with degrees in other fields of studies may be considered if their preparation is deemed appropriate by both the Joint Degree Programme and the specific institution to which they are applying for admission as their home university.

If you’re applying to Bamberg as your home university, you need to have obtained 45 ECTS in English philology or another philology during your previous studies in order to be accepted into the programme.

No. You only have to pay the regular tuition fee at your entrance university (in the case of Bamberg being your home university, you don’t need to pay tuition fees only an administrative fee of approx. 90 euros per semester).

There is no financial support for the entire programme as such.

The DAAD (The German Academic Exchange Service) lists some offers for scholarships and financial support that could be of interest to you:


Bayhost also sponsors financial support and scholarships for students from Eastern Europe:


Other possibilities for financial support that the University of Bamberg offers will only be available to you after having enrolled in Bamberg.

The call usually opens in January. You can check the dates and apply here.

The online application closes in early to mid-April. Check here for the latest dates.

All documents for the application procedure must be submitted in English.

No. All documents have to be submitted on time. The exception is the undergraduate diploma. Students who do not have their language certificate at the time of application should at least hand in a proof of registration for the language test.

You can apply for the programme. However, you should state in your application when you expect to get your degree. If you are selected by the committee, you need to have finished your degree by the time you register at your entrance university for the Joint programme in autumn.

Yes, you do.

No. Your transcript of records needs to be certified with a signature or a stamp provided by your home university.

The letters of recommendation should be written and signed by a professor on official university paper and/or stamped with the university's or department's official stamp. After that they are uploaded to the consortium website as a regular part of the documents you need to provide online. If your professors do not want to hand you the letter for you to scan, you can also ask them to send it directly to Bamberg via postal mail. Please use this address: 

Lehrstuhl für Englische Literaturwissenschaft
MA in English and American Studies, Joint Master's Programme
An der Universität 9
96045 Bamberg

It is not necessary to know other languages. Nevertheless, we advise you to attend courses of the languages of the countries of the respective consortium members.

You can also apply for the programme if you are employed. With Bamberg as your home university, you can study part-time. Nevertheless, you will have to spend one semester abroad doing full-time study, during which you will have to obtain 30 ETCS in order to complete the programme.

No. The selection committee selects the students on the basis of their applications.

About four weeks after the application deadline all applicants will be informed of the decision of the selection committee so the second step of the application procedure, registration at the chosen home university, can be started.

Yes. In the course of the master's programme you can earn a maximum of 60 ECTS (2 semesters) credits in mobility. Be aware that the regulations around a stay of two semesters are more difficult and that you will have to adhere to the deadlines set by the International Office. Prolonging your stay during the first semester of your mobility is next to impossible, so you need to decide before you leave if you want to stay for one or two semesters.

The consortium members are doing their best to secure mobility grants for as many students as possible.

In Bamberg, it will be possible for you to apply for an ERASMUS grant (for German, European and Non-European students) but only if you haven’t taken part in an Erasmus-exchange during your previous studies.

You would be qualified to enter a PhD programme in Germany. An MA degree generally qualifies you to pursue a PhD programme worldwide although entrance regulation may vary from country to country.

However, you may not teach at a German school as you need a specific "Lehramtsstudium" (teacher training study programme) for that, but generally, some international schools do hire Master's graduates as teachers.

For personal advice, you are also welcome to consult our Career Orientation Service.


You will receive an official confirmation of your acceptance into the consortium via e-mail (your nomination letter). You will then need to send back your signed confirmation of taking your place in the programme via letter mail (your acceptance letter). You will also need to send either your original documents or certified copies (BA-Diploma, High-School diploma etc.) to Bamberg via letter mail.

Then you will receive another acceptance letter from Bamberg University (also via letter mail), which you will need for your visa application.

After that, you can come to Bamberg, enrol in the program and begin your life as an official student of the University of Bamberg.

There are a couple of things you need to tackle after you have arrived in Bamberg.

The first thing you need to take care of is finding a place to stay, because all other steps require you to have a postal address in the city. As soon as you have a flat or a dorm room, you have to register at the town hall. Without this registration none of the followings steps can be taken. To be able to register you have to bring a confirmation signed from your landlord that you actually live in the flat and that there is a contract between the two of you. You can download this document here. (Please note: This page only exists in German, if you have any problems with it, please ask one of the tutors pointed out to you by your coordinator for help). The document that is needed can be found under the heading “Einwohneramt” and it is called “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”. If you were lucky enough to get a room in one of the dorms, you will have automatically received a confirmation that can be handed in as well. You should also take this opportunity to make an appointment at the Foreigners’ office. It’s also located in the town hall, and you have to make an appointment in advance.

The next step is to get a bank account because you need a German bank account to pay rent, for visa requirements (if you need a visa, that is) and for paying your semester fee as indicated on your letter of admission (ca. 90€). Please bear in mind that the transaction of the semester fee will take a few days, so you should arrive at least a week before enrolment closes and open your account right after having arrived.

Once you have your bank account, you need to obtain German health insurance. You might already have insurance in your home country that also covers your stay in Germany, but you would still need a German health insurance company to confirm that your home insurance is valid here. If it isn’t valid, or if you need a new insurance anyway, you can go to any statutory insurance company in Bamberg and obtain your insurance there.

Once you have finished all these steps, you can go to the enrolment office and register as a JD-student at the university.

You also have to get in touch with your coordinator before your arrival to make an appointment with them. During this appointment, you will discuss your learning agreement.

If you want a native speaker to accompany you to the offices/companies to help you (in case you need someone for translation), please contact the student helpers that your coordinator will point out to you.

The search for accommodation in Bamberg is usually a bit tricky because we have lots of students in the city and not that many offers for accommodation. Therefore you should start very early to search for a place to stay in Bamberg.

The cheapest option is usually to apply for one of the student dorms (although those rooms are also limited, and there is no guarantee that you will be granted one). The monthly rent ranges from 164€ to 520€, depending on what kind of room you’re looking for and which dorm you choose. The rooms are fully furnished, and either have their own kitchen/bathroom, or one you share with the students you also share your dorm with. 

You can apply on the website of the Studentenwerk Würzburg.

Here is a list of the student dorms available in Bamberg.

Click here for the online application.

The deadline for application is 15th June for the summer semester, and 15th January for the winter semester.

The other option you have is to apply for private accommodation. The Studentenwerk Würzburg also lists some offers for private accommodation, and the offers are updated regularly.

Here are some additional links that might help you with your search:



And you can also try to look for student rooms or shared flats in the advertisements of the local newspapers. You can access most of them online here:


You can enrol at the enrolment office (Kapuzinerstraße 25, rear building). The period for enrolment is usually from mid-August up to ten days before the beginning of the winter semester, but your letter of admission also states the exact dates. We would advise you to arrive as early as possible so that you have enough time to go to all the offices and take care of your accommodation (you should arrive at least three days before the enrolment period ends).

You can find more information about office hours and what documents to bring here (please note: this page is only in German, if you have any problems with it, please refer to one of the tutors pointed out by your coordinator):


The list includes:

-          The letter of admission you receive from the university
-          The application form (which you will receive online once you have completed your online application)
-          Your original high school diploma
-          Your transcript of records
-          Your original BA diploma
-          Your passport
-          A separate passport photograph (for your student ID)
-          The confirmation of your health insurance
-          The receipt of your transfer for the semester fee

The University of Bamberg does not charge tuition fees. You do, however, have to pay a small semester fee (for the student union and your semester ticket), which is ca. 90€ per semester.

You have to pay the fee at the beginning of each semester. When you enrol at the university for your first semester, you have to take the receipt of the transfer with you to the enrolment office. During the following semesters, there is a special period of three-weeks-time at the end of each semester during which you need to pay the fee for the following semester.

You can find the exact amount of money you need to transfer and the information about the university’s bank account here:


Please note: This page exist only in German. To help you with it, we translated the terms used there into English:

"Empfänger" = beneficiary
"Verwendungszweck" = purpose

Generally, it is possible to have a part-time job next to your classes. There are, however, restrictions and regulations regarding the number of hours you are allowed to work, depending on which country you are from and what kind of visa you have. You can find more information about the restrictions here:


The winter semester starts in mid-October, the summer semester in mid-April. For the exact dates, please consult this university website.

All classes are listed in our UNIVIS (the online system that lists all classes, lecturers, timetables and locations).

As for the classes offered by the Institute for English and American Studies, click onto "Vorlesungsverzeichnis", then "Fakultät Geistes- und Kulturwissenschaften", then "Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik". There you find all of our courses in the area of English linguistics (Englische Sprachwissenschaft einshl. Sprachgeschichte), English and American Literature (Englische und Amerikanische Literaturwissenschaft), British and American Culture (Britische und Amerikanische Kulturwissenschaft), Didactics (which only applies for students in the teachers training programme) and language practice (Sprachpraxis). Within these subsections, the classes are grouped according to their modules. Master students can select lectures or tutorials ("Vorlesungen und Übungen") as well as graduate seminars ("Seminare im Vertiefungsmodul").

You can find the language classes (English, German and others) offered by our Sprachenzentrum (language centre) by clicking onto "Vorlesungsverzeichnis", then "Zentrale und wissenschaftliche Einrichtungen", then "Sprachenzentrum". There you find courses in English, Romance languages (Romanische Sprachen), Slavic languages (Slavische Sprachen), Oriental languages (Orientalische Sprachen), and German for international students as well as further languages (Deutsch für ausländische Studierende und weitere Sprachen).

In most cases, the course description includes information on whether you are allowed to take the course for your program. If there is no information, please ask your coordinator whether you can take the course when you discuss your individual learning agreement.

You can only register for classes after you have officially enrolled in the programme. You will have to register in our FlexNow system online, but please only do that after you consulted your coordinator about your learning agreement first (you will receive more information on how our online systems work once you arrived in Bamberg at our Workshop Academic Infrastructure).

The university offers an intensive German course for international exchange students, which starts four weeks before the beginning of the semester. The course fee is approx. 200€ and has to be paid in advance. If there are places available for MA EAS students, applicants will be informed via e-mail in advance about the requirements and the deadlines. However, since this course is designed for exchange students, there is not always room for students of our own. There will be an online placement test for you to take before the course begins. The course includes 4 teaching units each day, from 9.30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Mo-Fr.

During the semester, you will also have the chance to attend German classes free of charge.

You can find an English version of the programme’s outline here.

Regarding your first steps in Bamberg, you need to undergo the same procedure as the other students. You will also need to see your coordinator for your individual learning agreement for the one (or two) semester(s) you’re staying in Bamberg. Please also inform your coordinator that you will spend the next semester in Bamberg, and when you plan on arriving here.

Since you’re only here for this one semester, in your special case, you’re entitled to one of the dorm rooms. You will receive all relevant information concerning the application from our International Office.  

For more information about your mobility in Bamberg, please see here.

You will meet your coordinators once you have arrived in Bamberg and scheduled a meeting to discuss your individual learning agreements. There will also be an official Welcome Event at the beginning of the semester and a workshop on Academic Infrastructure in Bamberg, to which you will receive an invitation via email. At the Welcome Event, you will meet the coordinators, the head of the department, your student helpers and your fellow students who will welcome you to the university. In the workshop we will discuss the programme, introduce you to the online systems of the university, and show you how you can register for your courses.

For the current dates of all services offered before and during the semester, please check our support website BASIS.

You can find more information about the programme on the official Joint programme website:


You can also find more information about the programme, scholarships, and Bamberg as your home university and the city itself on the DAAD (The German Academic Exchange Service) website: 


If you have questions regarding regulations, your application, the programme or your learning agreement, you should consult your coordinator. Click here for their contact details.