Applying for the MA English and American Studies
Students can apply for the MA Englishand American Studies if they have completed at least the equivalent of a Bachelor’s or Diploma degree in English and/or American Studies. Applicants with degrees in other philologies may be considered if their preparation is deemed appropriate.
Please note: Visa applications might take very long and can delay a student's successful start of the programme. Start the process as early as possible and check with the German Embassy in your country how long it takes. In certain cases, the process will take longer than one semester, so you need to plan your stay in Bamberg in advance. If you encounter any visa issues, you need to contact the coordinators immediately to find a solution for you.
An online application at the University of Bamberg has to be filled in and then printed out to be sent via regular mail to the University of Bamberg (Otto-Friedrich-Universität, Studierendenkanzlei, Kapuzinerstraße 25, 96045 Bamberg, Germany). You need to include the following documents (authorized copies; PLEASE do NOT include any originals).
- school leaving certificate + English/German translation (with which the student is eligible to study at a university in his/her home country)
- University diploma + English translation
- Diploma supplement + English translation (if provided by your university)
- Language proficiency certificate: since the language of instruction in the Master’s Programme is English, students who do not possess C2 level (CEFR) of English must prove their level of competence in English (C1 according to CEFR) upon application. This can be done with one of the following language certificates (indicating the minimal score encessary to prove C1): TOEFL: minimum of 600 (paper test) or 250 (computer test) or 98 (online test); IELTS: minimum of 7.0; (Please note that the scores of these tests are only valid for two years. TOEFL or IELTS scores that have been received more than two years before the application deadline therefore can not be considered!)
All applicants need to send proof of language proficiency even if their language of instruction in their BA degree was English (no exceptions!).
- Transcript of your university records + English translation
Special conditions apply for students who have earned their certificate(s) in one of the following countries:
- China, Vietnam, Mongolia: an APS certificate has to be provided
- Georgia: Georgian applicants must have their university diploma, diploma supplement and transcript of records authenticated by an apostille, i.e. a validation stamp
- Iran: Iranian applicants need to provide a copy of their university diploma, diploma supplement and transcript of records that has been legalized by the German Embassy in Teheran
- China, Iran, Korea, Turkey, Vietnam, Spain,Colombia: Certificate of university entrance examination
Please note: in case you send authorized copies instead of originals, the originals of all your documents must be provided upon enrolment at Bamberg University!
From mid-May until the beginning of October for the winter semester
From mid-November until the beginning of April for the summer semester
Please note: The exact deadlines vary every semester. International students who need a student visa should apply no later than three months before the beginning of the semester to ensure the visa process can be finished in time.
If accepted to the programme, you will receive a letter of admission ("Zugangsbescheid") online and a welcome package from our Enrolment Office ("Studierendenkanzlei").