Prof. Dr. Gabriele Knappe
Short English version
An der Universitaet 9
- Professor (ausserplanmaessige Professorin) of English Linguistics and Medieval Studies at the Chair of English Linguistics, University of Bamberg (since 2008)
- Professor at Adam-Mickiewicz-University Poznań, Poland (2006-2008)
- Associate Professor (Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin) at the Chair of English Linguistics, University of Bamberg (2003-2008)
- Erasmus Departmental Coordinator, Faculty of Human Sciences, University of Bamberg (2007/2008)
- Acting Professor of English Linguistics and Medieval Studies, University of Bonn (Lehrstuhlvertretung 2007)
- Acting Professor of English Linguistics, University of Bayreuth (Lehrstuhlvertretung; 2005/2006)
- Visiting Professor at the University of Innsbruck, Austria (2005)
- Acting Professor of English Medieval Studies, University of Jena (Lehrstuhlvertretung; 2000)
- Assistant Professor (Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin) at the Chair of English Linguistics and Medieval Studies, University of Bamberg (1991-2003)
- Assistant Professor (Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin) at the Chair of English Linguistics and Medieval English Literature, University of Munich (1989/1990)
- theory of language change, especially 'antilexicalization' phenomena
- historical phraseology and lexicology
- English language scholarship before 1800, in particular treatments of phraseology in collections of proverbs, handbooks of style, foreign language teaching, monolingual and bilingual lexicography, translation, the study of universal language, shorthand, English grammar
- rhetoric und grammar in Anglo-Saxon England
- rhetoric in Old English literature
Academic education and scholarships:
- Habilitation (post-doctoral degree), University of Bamberg, 2003.
- Thesis published 2004 under the title: Idioms and Fixed Expressions in English Language Study before 1800: A Contribution to English Historical Phraseology. Frankfurt/Main: Lang.
- Scholarship for post-doctoral research (Habilitationsstipendium) of the University of Bamberg (Hochschulsonderprogramm III), 2000/2001
- PhD, University of Munich (LMU), 1994.
- Thesis published 1996 under the title: Traditionen der klassischen Rhetorik im angelsächsischen England. Heidelberg: Winter.
- PhD scholarship (Promotionsstipendium) of the University of Munich, 1990/1991
- Study of English and German at the universities of Gießen and Munich 1991-1989
- Magister Artium (Munich, 1988) and state examination (Munich, 1989)
- All publications are listed in the OPUS - Publikationsserver der Universität Bamberg. Enter "Gabriele Knappe" in the field "Autor(en)".
- For a selected list, please click here.
Papers presented at international conferences and guest lectures:
- For a detailed list, please click here.
English linguistics, synchronic but especially diachronic topics. Reading and interpretation of Old and Middle English texts. For details, please click here.
- Study trips with groups of students to Oxford (Oxford English Dictionary) and London, 29 June - 4 July 2010 and 17 July - 22 July 2014
- Organization of a conference on "English Linguistics and Medieval Studies: Positions and Perspectives", University of Bamberg, 21-22 May 2004.
- Organization of and active participation in the dramatic performance of: "The Chester Mystery Cycle – Play 7: The Shepherds" in Middle English on the occasion of the Medieval Festival at the University of Bamberg, 16 June 2003 (organized by the Centre for Medieval Studies, University of Bamberg).Further performances at the universities of Eichstätt and Munich, November 2003.
- Organization of the interdisciplinary series of lectures "Linguistisches Kolloquium" at the University of Bamberg:
- Summer 2005: "Varietät und Norm" (with PD Dr. Ursula Goetz, Prof. Dr. Martin Haase)
- Winter 1998/1999: "Grammatische Kategorien [Schwerpunkt: Nominalkategorien]" (with Dr. Monika Sokol)
- Winter 1997/1998 (with Dr. Claudine Moulin-Fankhänel)
- Summer 1997 (with Dr. Susanne Michaelis)
- Assistant to the Editor" of Dialectologia et Geolinguistica: Journal of the International Society for Dialectology and Geolinguistics, 1 (1993) – 8 (2000), 10 (2002) – 11 (2003)
- For more information, click here.