Checking out items
By registering, you accept the checkout conditions. You are obligated to handle books carefully and to replace items that you damaged; you are not allowed to pass on items that you have borrowed to third parties.
In order to borrow items, you will need your library card. You cannot check out items without it. For self-checkout you also need the password of your library account.
- As for open access shelves at the branch library, you may collect the books from the shelves yourself. You may check out books at the circulation desk or use a self-service machine. For unbound magazines you will need to fill in a borrower slip.
- Stack room and open access shelves of other branch libraries: Please order these items via the Online Catalogue to "your" Branch Library.
As library employees collect these items from the shelf, you cannot pick them up immediately after placing the order, but usually the next day. Items requested on Friday can be picked up on Monday.
- Department reference books ("Handapparate") are not checked out through the regular system. Please contact the respective chair/ faculty directly. (To see the location overview, please click on the "Wegweiser" signposts in the Online Catalogue.)
The period of time in which media from the closed stacks or other branch libraries as well as requested books or interlibrary loan items are made available to pick up is 7 workdays (workdays are from Monday to Saturday).
If you provide the library with your email adress, you will be notified:
- when books you have requested have arrived;
- when the loan period of books you have checked out is about to end and reminding you to return the item or renew the loan;
- when books or copies you requested via interlibrary loan are available for pick-up;
- when an interlibrary loan was denied, e.g. because the book or essay you requested is available in Bamberg.
Email notifications are provided without liability.
You can see whether an item can be checked out or not by looking at the first part of the call number. You can borrow the following items:
- Items from the open access shelves that are marked accordingly (Location Code ends in -1; items have a white or blue label);
- Textbook collections (Location Code ends in -3; yellow label);
- Most of the reference collections (Location Code ends in -5; red label);
- Almost all items from the closed stacks (Location Code ends in -0).
|Items||Location code||Loan period|
|TB 1||TB 2||TB 3||TB 4||TB 5||ERBA||Central Library|
|Monographs (open access shelves)||11||21||31||41||51||61||02, 07||24 staffed days, items can be renewed 4 times|
|15||25||35||45||55||65||6 staffed days, items can be renewed 4 times|
|Textbooks (open access shelves)||13||23||33||43||53||63||24 staffed days, items can be renewed 4 times|
|Monographs (closed stacks)||10||20||30||40||50||60||00||24 staffed days, items can be renewed 4 times|
|Journals (closed stacks)||10||20||30||40||50||60||00||6 staffed days, items can be renewed 4 times|
|Special stock (closed stacks)||19||29||39||49||59||69||09||Reading room only|
|Reference collection (open access shelves), see label on book||15||25||35||45||55||65||Reading room only|
|Schoolbook collection (can be checked out)||24||24 staffed days, items can be renewed 4 times|
|Schoolbook collection (reference collection)||26||Reading room only|
|Media (DVDs etc, open access shelves)||47||67||24 staffed days, items can be renewed 4 times|
|Media (DVDs etc, closed stacks)||18||28||38||48||58||68||Only some items can be checked out; loan periods differ|
|Games||032||042||6 staffed days, items can be renewed 4 times|
|Department reference collection ("Handapparate"), special stocks, holdings of other libraries||Three-digit Location code||Please refer to the Online Catalogue|
The reference collection (local identifier ending in -5; red spine label) marked "nicht entleihbar" [not available for loan] can only be used in the reading rooms of the libraries. This includes basic lexica, loose-leaf collections, periodicals, sourcebooks as well as frequently used course and research literature.
Changes with regard to loan periods
We will communicate any changes with regard to loan periods, for example over the Christmas period, on our website; please check the opening hours page.