Creativity Across Cultures (CREATIVE)
EU 7th Framework Programme, Marie-Curie-Actions, International Incoming Fellowships (IIF)
PI: Prof. Dr. C. Dominik Güss
Areas of Expertise:
- Complex problem solving, planning, and dynamic decision making (NSF-funded)
- Virtual environments, microworlds
- Cross-cultural research on cognition
- Risky business decision making
- Suicide terrorism
The project “Creativity Across Cultures – CREATIVE” directly addresses European initiatives to promote creativity research and aims at an elaborate investigation of patterns of creativity in the context of different cultures. Three innovative studies will investigate how culture influences creativity in five countries and will test a theoretical model explaining how culture influences creativity. Creativity tasks involve real-life creative achievements, cognitive tasks assessing fluency and originality, creativity in complex and dynamic tasks, and the creative work of artists and designers. The fellowship will provide a unique, novel, and interdisciplinary opportunity for the applicant to collaborate with stellar researchers at Otto-Friedrich University Bamberg from the field of creativity and methodology, and with famous artists from the International House of Artists Villa Concordia. The research findings will have direct implications for the development of creativity training in multi-cultural teams, and in education, art, and design.
- 1968 Born in Augsburg
- 1990 - 1996 MA in Psychology, University of Bamberg
- 1996 - 2000 PhD in Psychology, University of Bamberg
- 2000 - 2001 Guest Lecturer, Ateneo de Manila Universty in Manila, Philippines
- 2001 - 2002 Research Associate, Department of Psychology, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, USA
- 2002 - 2003 Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Beloit College, Beloit, WI, USA
- 2003 - 2008 Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, USA
- 2008 - 2013 Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, USA
- 2009 - 2012 Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow at the universities of Bamberg and Jena
- since 2013 Full Professor, Department of Psychology, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, USA
- 2013 - 2014 Marie-Curie International Incoming Fellow at the University of Bamberg
- Dörner, D., & Güss, C. D. (in press). PSI: A computational architecture of cognition, motivation, and emotion. Review of General Psychology.
- Badibanga, J., Shah, S., & Güss, C. D. (in press). The influence of cultural values on creativity: Comparing the United States and South Africa. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Research.
- Güss, C. D. (in press). What about politics and culture? Behavioral and Brain Sciences.
- Güss, C. D., Fadil, P., & Strohschneider, S. (in press). The influence of uncertainty avoidance on dynamic business decision making across cultures: A growth mixture modeling approach. International Business: Teaching, Research and Practice.
- Tuason, M. T., Güss, C. D., & Carroll, L. (2012). The disaster continues: A qualitative study on the experiences of Hurricane Katrina victims. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 43, 288-297.
- Güss, C. D. (2011). Fire and ice: Testing a model on cultural values and complex problem solving. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 42, 1279-1298.
- Dörner, D., & Güss, C. D. (2011). A psychological analysis of Adolf Hitler’s decision making as Commander in Chief: Summa confidentia et nimius metus. Review of General Psychology, 15(1), 37-49.
- Güss, C. D. (2011). Suicide terrorism: Exploring western perceptions of terms, context, and causes. Behavioral Research in Terrorism and Political Aggression, 3, 97-115.
- Güss, C. D., & Dörner, D. (2011). Cultural differences in dynamic decision-making strategies in a non-linear, time-delayed task. Cognitive Systems Research. Special Issue on Complex Cognition, 12(3-4), 365-376.
- Güss, C. D., Tuason, M. T., & Gerhard, C. (2010). Cross-national comparisons of complex problem-solving strategies in two microworlds. Cognitive Science, 34(3), 489-520.
- Magliano, J. P., Skowronski, J. J., Britt, M. A., Güss, C. D., & Forsythe, C. (2008). What do you want? How perceivers use cues to make goal inferences about others. Cognition, 106(2), 594-632.
- Güss, C. D., Tuason, M. T., & Teixeira, V. (2007). A cultural-psychological theory of contemporary Islamic martyrdom. Journal of the Theory of Social Behaviour, 37(4), 415-445.
- Güss, C. D., & Wiley, B. (2007). Metacognition of problem-solving strategies in Brazil, India, and the United States. Journal of Cognition and Culture, 7(1-2), 1-25.
Affiliations and Awards
- Invited member of the “Golden Key International Honour Society”
- Council on Undergraduate Research
- Cognitive Science Society
- Association for Psychological Science (APS)
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- International Association of Cross-Cultural Psychology (IACCP)
- 2013 Marie Curie Fellowship IIF of the European Commission (Total score 98 out of 100, acceptance rate of about 15%)
- 2011 Outstanding Faculty Scholarship Award, University of North Florida (every year 2 professors out of 650 professors at UNF receive this award for their research accomplishments)
- 2011, Lovvorn, M., & Güss, C. D. (2011, April). Cultural influences on risky business decision making. Poster presentation at the 2011 Poster on the Hill organized by the Council of Undergraduate Research, Washington, DC. (The organizers invited 72 out of almost 700 submissions nationwide to be presented to Senators and State Representatives on Capitol Hill in Washington).
- 2009-2012 Research Fellow Award of the Humboldt Foundation at Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Germany, and Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg, Germany
- 2007-2008 Güss, C. D., & Tuason, M. T. Study abroad course: Culture and Psychology in Europe. Grant Agency: University of North Florida, President. Transformational Learning Opportunity Grant. Total Award Amount: 23,000 USD
- 2007 Best Research Paper Award (Sanz, E. & Güss, C. D.), Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL, 2007 Florida Student Conference on Human Factors and Applied Psychology
- 2007 Teixeira, V., & Güss, C. D. (2007, April). A cultural-psychological theory of suicide terrorism. Poster presentation at the 2007 Poster on the Hill organized by the Council of Undergraduate Research, Washington, DC. (The organizers invited 60 out of almost 400 submissions nationwide to be presented to Senators and State Representatives on Capitol Hill in Washington).
- 2006 Outstanding International Service Award (UNF), Recognition of faculty and staff members who have made a significant and lasting contribution to the internationalization of the University.
- 2002-2006 PI: Güss, C. D. Cultural influences on dynamic decision making. Grant Agency: National Science Foundation. Decision, Risk, and Management Sciences. Award#: 0218203 and #0349997. Total Award Amount: 166,767 USD