Information from A to Z

Information from A to Z

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

The following section shows you in keywords from A to Z lots of important information and practical tips for the beginning of your studies.


Lecture periods

Semester break:

  • Winter semester: app. mid-February to mid-April
  • Summer semester: app. late July to mid-October


  • Winter semester:
    • German Unity Day: 3 October
    • All Saints' Day: 1 November
  • Summer semester
    • Easter
    • Labour Day: 1 May
    • Ascension Day
    • Pentecost
    • Feast of Corpus Christi
    • Assumption Day: 15 August

Information on searching for accommodation (private rooms as well as student dormitories/halls of residence) can be found here.

Rooms in the various student halls of residence/dormitories are usually available in the following categories:

  • single apartments
  • double apartments
  • three-room apartments

All rooms include a kitchenette (two hotplates and a refrigerator) and a bathroom that are either used by a single resident or by two residents. The double and three-room apartments have a common entrance but separate internal doors that can be locked individually.

A wardrobe, desk, bed stand, bed and mattress, chair and a bookshelf comprise each room’s basic furniture. Bed linens, i.e. bed sheets, duvet covers, pillows and blankets are not provided and therefore either have to be purchased or brought to Bamberg.

The kitchen is not equipped with pots, pans, plates, cutlery, water kettle, other kitchen utensils or other items like a vacuum cleaner. These things can also be brought along or purchased in Bamberg. The dormitories include communal rooms, bicycle parking and washing machines. *

* Specific to use of the washing machines in halls of residence/dormitories operated by the Studentenwerk Würzburg: The washing machines in halls of residence/dormitories operated by the Studentenwerk Würzburg can only be used with a University of Bamberg student identity card that has been topped up with money before use. Students who lodge in these dormitories prior to issue of their identity card therefore have to wash their clothes elsewhere (e.g. laundrette). Alternatively, students can also ask a dormitory neighbour if they can, for a fee, use their identity card for the washing machine

The rent includes a fixed charge for water and electricity. Residents who use more than is covered by this rate have to pay the difference according to the final invoice which is issued when moving out. For this final invoice, the actual consumption of electricity and water is tallied using each apartment unit’s separate meter.

Each tenant is required to make a security deposit. When moving out, the deposit can only be refunded in full if the room is handed over in its initial condition. This might mean, for example, that the tenant has to paint the room’s walls.

Detailed information on this topic can be found in our welcome brochure or leaflet (in the downloads section). You will automatically receive these documents with your university admission.

If you wish to stay in touch with the University of Bamberg after your studies, you can find more information here.

The Alumniportal Deutschland (German Alumni Portal) is also available. This is a virtual network for foreigners who e.g. studied in Germany.


Detailed information on opening a bank account can be found in our welcome brochure or leaflet (in the downloads section). You will automatically receive these documents with your university admission.

The bicycle is one of the cheapest and fastest means of transport in Bamberg. If you do not wish to purchase a new bike, you can look for a used one at bike shops, in newspapers or here.

Additionally, the city regularly organizes auctions for found bicycles. The dates for these auctions can be found in the local newspaper or in the city hall.

There are also numerous Facebook groups where one can find a used bicycle. Examples include the 'Fahrrad Flohmarkt Bamberg' (Bamberg bike flea market), 'Studentenflohmarkt Bamberg' (Bamberg student flea market) and the 'Flohmarkt Umkreis Bamberg' (Bamberg regional flea market).

In Bamberg, you can ride busses for free with your student ID card. Information on bus routes and schedules can be found here.


Car sharing is an alternative to public transport. To take advantage of car sharing you can become a member of a club by paying the membership fee. In addition to a deposit, there are fees for the amount of time a car is used. More information on car sharing in Bamberg:

Private car sharing, e.g.:

Detailed information on this topic can be found in our welcome brochure or leaflet (in the downloads section). You will automatically receive these documents with your university admission. 

The University of Bamberg’s various computer labs are open to all students. You can find the location of the individual labs here.  

The electronic university directory and course catalogue UnivIS contains information on all offered courses. Besides the title, the number of ECTS points and course times and locations, you can find information on individual courses’ contents, prerequisites for participation and any required literature. A guide to putting together your course schedule can be found here. There also is an English guide to creating a course schedule that you can find here.


The DAAD liaison instructor at the University of Bamberg is Prof. Dr. Claus-Christian Carbon.

Before you leave Bamberg, it is necessary to deregister – i.e. withdraw your enrolment – at the office of the registrar (Studierendenkanzlei). This means you will officially cease to be a student at the University of Bamberg. All of the information about this process is available here.

If you fail to re-register for the following semester by the deadline, you will automatically be deregistered.

Information about the dining halls and canteens at the University of Bamberg, including addresses and menus, can be found here.

The Trimberg Research Academy (TRAc) is a central contact and service point for all current and prospective doctoral students at the University of Bamberg.


Throughout Germany, the fire brigade or a doctor on emergency call can be reached under the phone number 112. To call the police, dial 110. 

There are various online guides to events in Bamberg:

More information on individual events and tickets are also available at the BVD ticket service.

Some more webpages:

Further information on art and culture in Bamberg can be found here.

Generally, each semester ends with the end of the lecture period. Unfortunately, this does not necessarily coincide with exam dates. Since each faculty, and sometimes each course, sets its own examinations, students should check exam dates with each of their instructors at the beginning of the semester and consider this information when planning their semester break or trip back home (e.g. when booking flights back to their home country).

The International Office offers a number of excursions throughout the semester. These are open to all international students. The excursion programme can be found here.


If you are enrolled as a student at the University of Bamberg and wish to improve your German language skills while studying or learn another foreign language, you can take your pick from the free courses offered by the University of Bamberg Language Centre. The courses are listed on the Language Centre homepage or in the course catalogue (UnivIS).


Detailed information on this topic can be found in our welcome brochure or leaflet (in the downloads section). You will automatically receive these documents with your university admission. 


Unfortunately, illnesses happen from time to time and in those cases, you will require the help of a doctor. It is up to you to decide which doctor will be your chosen GP. You can ask friends or acquaintances for recommendations or look for a doctor in a telephone book like the yellow pages

Should you require an English speaking doctor, please visit --> Expertensuche (expert search) --> Ort (Place): 'Bamberg' --> Weitere Optionen (further options) --> Fremdsprachen (foreign languages): and choose 'Englisch' --> Suche starten (start search).

Doctors here do not charge their patients directly, but deal with their patients' health insurance providers instead. For this purpose, doctors will need a machine/computer readable insurance card with all the relevant data. Students who have German insurance policies will receive this card directly form the health insurance company. Students from EU member states simply need to provide their EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) to the doctor or receptionist. This procedure is common for all doctor's offices.

If your medical problem is not an emergency, simply call and make an appointment, as this will also decrease your time spent in the waiting room. This, of course, does not apply in cases of emergency (see: 'Emergency Numbers').

If you need to reach a general practitioner outside of regular hours, please contact the Bamberger Bereitschafts-Praxis or dial 116 117 (Ärztlicher Bereitschaftsdienst).

Information about health insurance is included in the “Health insurance” section. Private liability insurance is also highly recommended. If you happen to inadvertently cause an accident, you will be responsible for paying for the damages and this could involve high costs. A private liability insurance policy that can be taken out after arriving in Bamberg covers this risk.

It is also possible to take out a liability insurance policy in your home country if the protection is also valid in Germany.


The Studentenwerk Würzburg's legal advice bureau provides free legal advice to students at the University of Bamberg.

This is not an easy topic to cover since standards can obviously vary and average figures are therefore not very informative. One person might like to spend their time in cafés every day and shop only in the most exclusive stores, while another person might only rarely have a night out and would rather buy groceries in discount supermarkets. For that reason we will only cite a guideline approximation of 700 to 800 Euros per month (including rent).


All students have the opportunity to take part in the university choir or big band, or also the "Blechprojekt" (brass band). An overview of all the various musical ensembles can be found here.


If students experience psychological problems, they can, among other institutions, turn to the Psychotherapeutic Counselling Office run by the Studentenwerk Würzburg. Psychological tips for the period of self-isolation during the Corona crisis can be found here  (German only).

The Bamberg Public Library offers both German and foreign-language literature, as well as other media (e.g. novels, daily newspapers, magazines, nonfiction books, comics, games, videos, etc.). Additionally, the library regularly organises book flea markets.


In Germany, each household with a device that can receive radio or TV broadcasts (e.g. a TV set, radio, personal computer or smartphone) has to pay a licence fee. Detailed information about how to register can be found here.

At the end of each semester, all students enrolled at the University of Bamberg have to re-register for the upcoming semester by transferring the re-registration fee to the appropriate account. You can find information about the fee and re-registration deadlines here.

Please note: Students who do not re-register will automatically be deregistered.

When travelling long distances within Germany, most people use railways, their own car or buses. People who do not own a car often use shared car services. Such ridesharing services can be found on various websites, e.g. here.


In certain aspects, the German academic system differs greatly from systems found at universities abroad. The most important aspect is that you do not receive a prearranged course schedule, but instead have to choose the courses you want to take and put together your own course schedule (you can find instructions on creating a course schedule here). At the latest, you should have your course schedule ready when courses begin.

You will surely have questions regarding the scheduling of your classes, and we therefore strongly encourage you to make use of opportunities like programme orientations and course scheduling assistance.

Current Course Offering
The current course catalogue can be found here. It includes all courses offered by the four faculties in a particular semester and also includes detailed course descriptions and the number of ECTS points that can be earned in each course.

You can use the section "Lehrveranstaltungen" (courses) to search for courses in either the "Vorlesungsverzeichnis" (course catalogue) or "Lehrveranstaltungen einzelner Einrichtungen" (courses of individual institutions) sub-sections.

Of course, you can also take courses offered by institutions like the Language Centre.

Course Registration
If there is a special procedure for registering for a course, it will be part of the detailed description in the course catalogue. The University of Bamberg uses an online registration system called "FlexNow" for registration regarding courses and exams. Please be aware that only students already enrolled at the University of Bamberg can use "FlexNow" for course registration.

Who Can Help Create a Course Schedule?
If you have questions about putting together your course schedule, you can contact the following offices and advisory services:

Before lectures begin:

  • Subject advisory service for international exchange students; date: during the Preparatory Courses for Exchange Students; for all students of the following faculties: Human Sciences and Education, Humanities & Social Sciences, Economics, and Business Administration
  • Orientation Week (Erstsemester-Einführungs-Tage "EET"): advisory services for all students of all subjects
  • Central Student Advisory Service (Zentrale Studienberatung): the central student advisory service is open for questions regarding all subjects.

During the semester:

Information on funding possibilities can be found here:

Additionally, foreign students who find themselves in financial distress can contact following persons and institutions:

At Pfisterstraße 2 in Bamberg, there is a free store (more info on Facebook at Mosaik - Umsonstladen und Begegnungsstätte or at In the Lichtenhaidestraße, there is a second-hand shop, and in Pödeldorfer Straße you can find the KreisLauf-Kaufhaus. At the Schnäppchenmarkt, the Kolping-Bildung offers inexpensive used goods.

There are also Facebook groups for giveaways and exchanges such as 'Share and Care Bamberg' and 'Studentenflohmarkt Bamberg.'

You can find the dates for upcoming flea markets in local newspapers like the Wobla.

Each semester, every registered student must pay a fee (Studentenwerk Würzburg contribution fee & semester ticket); for details see here. The Studentenwerk Würzburg is responsible for the student’s welfare in Bamberg and Schweinfurt, as well as in Würzburg. Among other things, the fees are used for subsidising the refectory and halls of residence. It also includes the semester ticket for bus and rail service in Bamberg city and Landkreis (the county).

The summer semester starts on 1 April and ends on 30 September; the winter semester begins on 1 October and ends on 31 March of the following year. Some course excursions may be planned for the semester break (March/April and from August to October), but this time is mainly used for exams. The exact lecture periods of the upcoming semesters are listed here.

All students enrolled at the University of Bamberg can use buses and trains within the town and the broader administrative region for free with their student identity card. Please note that the ID card is only valid within the time period that is printed on the card, regardless of when you enrolled. The semester ticket is valid at the following times:

  • during the winter semester: 1 October to 31 March
  • during the summer semester: 1 April to 30 September

Detailed information about the area of usage for the semester public transport ticket can be found here.

Once regular bus service has stopped for the night, students can also use a taxi on the bus route for free. Detailed information can be found here and/or here.

The Studentenwerk Würzburg offers social counsellingfor students dealing with a difficult personal situation and looking for counsel regarding personal/social issues.

Information about the various student associations and clubs at the University of Bamberg can be found here and here.

During the enrolment process, every student receives a student identity card (a small plastic card that includes your photo).
Information on how to print out your enrolment certificate (Studienbescheinigung) can be found here.

For a fee, students can also acquire an International Student Identity Card.

During the semester, there are various events organised by the university’s student religious associations (such as the Evangelische Studierendengemeinde, the Katholische Hochschulgemeinde and the Muslimische Hochschulgemeinde). These range from presentations and concerts to trips and religious services. A new programme is issued every semester.

The Family Services Office offers support, consultation and important information for students with children.

Students at the University of Bamberg with a disability or a chronic illness can find useful information here.


The tandem programmeconnects interested international students with a student enrolled at the University of Bamberg before their arrival. The respective contact details are sent to the students. Tandem partners in Bamberg are the first contact for the new foreign students regarding all questions about daily life in Bamberg, e.g. where to shop or what is going on in Bamberg’s cultural scene and nightlife.

International students can contact their tandem partner before they arrive, introduce themselves and give details about their arrival in Bamberg. This way the two students can arrange a personal pickup at the train station. The tandem programme aims to make acclimatisation in Bamberg easier and more personal.

While looking for a flat or a room to in Bamberg, the “Jugendgästehaus” and “Backpackers” hostels can be temporary solutions.

You can also find accommodation for the first few days here:

The Bamberg University English Drama Group (English theatre group), which is made up mostly of University of Bamberg students, stages one English-language play per year.

There are also several other theatre groups at the University of Bamberg:

Tourist information on Bamberg and the surrounding region and information on accommodations are available from the Bamberg Tourist Information Office.

By train

Bamberg can be easily reached by train. This also means that conversely, one can travel from Bamberg to all corners of Germany or even further. If you do not have a car of your own, the rail system is the ideal way to travel.

The German railway company Deutsche Bahn offers discounts that make train travel particularly affordable for students, e.g. BahnCard; Bayern-Ticket.

A word of advice: For anyone arriving by plane, continuing on by train, and who already has a travel plan, it is recommended to take advantage of these offers as soon as you arrive.

By plane

The best way to reach Bamberg by plane is to arrive at the Frankfurt/Main international airport. On the lowest level of Terminal 1 in the airport building, there is a railway station named “Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof” (including ticket sales and info point). Here you can catch a train to Bamberg (it is necessary to switch trains in Würzburg).

If you arrive in Munich, you can take a train from the “Terminal” station or ride the bus to the Munich central station (Hauptbahnhof). From there, you can take a train to Bamberg, which will either be a direct connection or you may have to switch trains in Nuremberg. Train connections to Bamberg from both Frankfurt and Munich will take approximately two or three hours.

From the Nuremberg airport, you can take the underground (Line 2) to the central station where you will find connections to Bamberg (the duration of the trip is approximately one hour).

By car

The area around Bamberg has an excellent highway network. When you have arrived in Bamberg, you should follow the signs leading to Bamberg Zentrum to reach the city centre. Since the city centre is composed of winding roads and numerous one-way streets, it is best to take a look at a city map before the trip.

Another thing concerning Bamberg and the traffic and parking situation: It is very easy to get to Bamberg, however once there, finding a parking spot in the city centre can prove to be problematic. Parking garages and parking spaces are available, but they have time limits and can be expensive. So, should you choose to come by car, arm yourself with patience!


Various sports courses take place during the semesters. Detailed information and the current sports programme are available here.


Detailed information on this topic can be found in our welcome brochure or leaflet (in the downloads section). You will automatically receive these documents with your university admission.

You can expand your education in a great variety of skills and areas of knowledge at the Volkshochschule Bamberg/VHS (community education centre). For further informationen, please see here.


Current weather data can be found on the following websites:

The following are important websites concerning various aspects and topics connected to the University of Bamberg:

The Welcome Center is the University of Bamberg’s central service point for visiting international scholars.

The student residence permit normally does not include a work permit. Therefore, international students are not allowed to work full time during the semester lecture periods.

Students from non-EU countries may work during lecture periods, for a maximum of four months of the year (120 full workdays or 240 half-days).

This limit does not apply to students from EU member countries. They may take a job at any time and work under the same conditions as the German students: 20 hours per week during lecture periods and full time during semester breaks.

Part-time jobs are listed on the Federal Employment Agency's (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) website.

Further student job offers can be found here:

Additional job offers are often posted on the university’s many notice boards.

If you need a wage and tax statement for your job, it can be obtained in the municipality where your principle residence is registered (after submission of the tax ID number). For Bamberg, this is the revenue office (Finanzamt), which can provide further information.