Prof. Dr. Till F. Sonnemann
Junior Professor for Digital Geoarchaelogy (IVGA)
Otto-Friedrich-University of Bamberg
Institute for Archaeology, Heritage Sciences and Art History
Phone: +49 951 863-3930
Fax: +49 951 863-3935
Office: Am Kranen 14, Room 02.05
Office attendance: Tuesday 14:00 - 16:00
Sustaining archaeological heritage is dependent on a thorough understanding of the cultural landscape surrounding it. My research and teaching aim is to advance and communicate non-destructive digital means by mapping and interpreting urban and rural environments, to encourage institutional and public engagement.
- 2018-2020 chair of the BA Archaeology examination committee; resposible for the BA studies accreditation
- since October 2016 Junior Professor for Digital Geoarchaeology (IVGA), since 2019 positively evaluated
- 2016-2020 Guest staff member of at the Faculteit Archeologie, Leiden University. Co-supervision of two PhD theses.
- 2013 - 2016 Postdoctoral Researcher, ERC-Project Nexus1492, Faculty of Archaeology, Leiden University, The Netherlands. Organizing the From Stone Age to Space Age conference.
- 2012 - 2013 Geophysicist, GBG Australia, Parramatta.
- 2007 - 2012 PhD Candidate, Dept. of Archaeology, The University of Sydney, Australia (Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), 20/04/2012) "Angkor Underground – Applying GPR to analyse the diachronic structure of a great urban complex." Tutor and Lecturer at USYD's School of Geosciences (2008-2011).
- 2005 - 2007 Research Assistant at Centro de Intercambio e Investigación en Vulcanología, University of Colima, Mexico (Volcanology) at the Institute of Geodesy and Photogrammetry, ETH Zurich, Switzerland (Photogrammetry) and at the University of Vigo, Spain (GPR).
- 2001 - 2005 Intermediate Studies for the Magister Artium (M.A.) of Communication (major) and Art History (minor) at the University of Münster, Courses within ERASMUS Exchange (2002-03) at the University of Granada, Spain, and at Humboldt & Free University Berlin (2004-05). Intermediate Exam 24/08/2005.
- 2004 - 2005 Diploma thesis at Institute of Planetary Research, DLR Adlershof, Berlin "Neue Auswertung der Daten des Apollo Lunar Seismic Program zur Suche nach Tiefbeben auf der erdfernen Seite des Mondes"
- 1999 - 2005 Geophysics diploma (Dipl. Geophys.) Physics department, University of Münster, Germany (Dipl. Geophys. 27/07/2005).