Welcome to Digital Technologies in Heritage Conservation!
We are glad that you have found your way to us, we appreciate your interest! Here you have the opportunity to learn everything you need to know about our degree programme. On the following pages you will find detailed information about the study programme, the application, current projects, excursions and much more. You can also get to know our lecturers in and learn more about living and studying in Coburg and Bamberg. With the reformed examination regulations, you can now tailor your studies even more specifically to your personal interests and goals. For architecture students, there is now even the possibility to obtain architectural order with our Master’s in Digital Technologies in Heritage Conservation.
Also take a look at our social media presence, where you can find out all about our current teaching and research activities.
We are looking forward to your application. Are there any questions left unanswered? Then please feel free to contact our student advisory service: studienberatung-msc.ddt[at]uni-bamberg.de
Why a Masters in Digital Technologies in Heritage Conservation (M.Sc.) ?
The world’s cultural heritage is at greater risk today than ever before, from natural and man-made disasters, pollution and climate change. In the quest to preserve, restore and make accessible this precious resource is constantly looking utilising new and innovative technologies. Digital Technologies in Heritage Conservation, a new and innovative Master’s programme (M.Sc.) , the first of its kind in Germanyteaches vital theoretical and practical skills for anyone aiming to work in the fields of heritage conservation, museum and heritage archives, building restoration. Students will learn a suite of digital technologies and techniques much sought after l in these and a wide range of modern industries. You have the opportunity to acquire chamber eligibility for German architectural chambers.
Modules include foundational and advanced studies in:
- introduction to principles and theories of heritage conservation, history of architecture
- Historic materials and introduction to structural engineering
- monitoring and digital system analysis
- building physics for heritage buildings
- surveying using firstly traditional (hand-survey , total station) and then mainly modern 3D imaging equipment (3D laser scanning, photogrammetry)
- technical / 2D drawing and 3D Modelling and data analysis, Scan-to-CAD, Scan-to-BIM, Heritage Building Information Modelling (H-BIM)
- Applied monitoring and digital system analysis
- Structural analysis/ structural maintenance/ structural simulation
- Materials and preservation science
- Applied examples in building physics for heritage buildings
- Architectural design and layout (for candidates for inscription into the architectural order)
- Computer and web programming , databases, digital archiving, media informatics
These qualifications and skills and a graduation as M.Sc. in Digital Technologies in Heritage Conservation can lead to careers in industry (architectural and engineering offices or firms) , heritage institutions (museums, heritage authorities) and research institutions (Fraunhofer Institute, doctorate at universities, further activities as research assistants internationally). You can find further good reasons here.
Brief profile of the Masters programme
|Short profile of study programme|
|Final exam:||Master's thesis|
|Title:||Master of Science (M. Sc.)|
|Standard period of study:||4 semesters|
|Start of programme:||only winter semester|
|Type of programme:||full-time or part-time|
|Admission requirement:||Bachelor's degree with grade 3.0 or better|
|Accreditation/ Certification:||Yes, the program is accredited (certified) since October 2019 by the University of Bamberg.|
The M.Sc. Digital Technologies in Heritage Conservation was accredited in September 2019. This means that the programme’s structure and contents fulfils the required quality criteria of the Accreditation Council. A degree in an accredited study programme can, for example, be decisive for a career in higher state service.
Summary evaluation of the accreditation company external link follows ACQUIN.