Admissions and Enrolment
The master’s degree programme in European Ethnology does not limit admissions. It can be started either in the winter or summer semester. The formal admissions requirements are:
- A completed university degree with a mark of at least 2.5 from the fields of the humanities, social sciences and cultural studies (e.g. European Ethnology, Folk Life and Art, Cultural Anthropology, Empirical and/or Comparative Cultural Studies, Cultural History, Museum Studies, Cultural Management or Popular Culture or other disciplines in the social sciences, historical sciences or philology)
- 10 ECTS points in the subject European Ethnology.
- The degree programme is taught in German. For enrollment and successful study, you need knowledge of German. Please check here for necessary language skills for Master studies or participation in an exchange programme.
The admissions requirements are stipulated in § 32 of the Study and Examination Regulations.
The University of Bamberg’s Academic Registrar’s Office handles enrolment. You can find further information on the pages regarding the application process for master’s degree programmes.
Please also clarify the entry and residence regulations that apply to your nationality in advance with the authorities in charge (e.g. German embassies or consulates).
As well as the formal requirements, you should have the following profile:
- You enjoy contact with researchers and everyday practice.
- You are interested in a wide range of cultural topics and have an inquisitive approach towards interpreting texts, images and symbols.
- You are open to finding out about people and exploring the different realities of their lives.
- You are willing to get actively involved in courses and project work.
Statement of motivation
We would appreciate if you could enclose a statement of motivation with your application for the master’s degree programme in European Ethnology where you state why you are interested in this programme.
This allows us to already get to you know you a little in advance and means we can focus on your strengths and interests better.
Information on applications from students of other subjects
If you can’t provide proof of previous knowledge of European Ethnology (min. 10 ECTS points in this field), you can obtain the necessary points at a later date with us. Please contact the subject advisory service in this case.