Specific questions for employees

► Please follow our instructions on what to do if you become infected with Covid-19.
► Use the possibilities of a rapid test provided by the University.
► Please be aware of priority entitlement to vaccination for university staff members.
► A certificate of employment at the University of Bamberg as proof for the vaccination centers can be downloaded at the ZUV-Portal (via VPN).

The latest FAQ for employees

Please be aware: Whenever new federal guidelines for dealing with the Corona pandemic are announced, they first have to be translated into state law in the individual federal states. If corresponding general regulations are established for Bavaria, specific regulations for the Bavarian universities and colleges may also result. This process usually takes a few days before detailed, legally binding regulations are issued. As soon as the university executive board is aware of new developments or the executive board passes new resolutions itself, we will inform you immediately on these pages. Until then, the most recent information communicated and published here applies to the University of Bamberg.

► 1 June 2021

► 11 May 2021

► 10 May 2021

► 4 May 2021

Quarantine and protective measures

If an infection with coronavirus is confirmed, please stay away from the university - regardless of current home office regulations - and inform

  • your superior or supervisor
  • and Ms Ziegmann from the executive administrative unit for safety (by phone via 0951/863-1096 or via e-mail: mirjam.ziegmann@uni-bamberg.de).

If you send an email, please include the following information:

  • When and where did your last physical contact with a university employee or fellow student occur at the university?
  • If a physical contact occured in the three weeks prior to your diagnosis, please include, insofar as this information is known to you, a list of names and contact information of the persons concerned and, where applicable, a list of all university courses you have attended.

All further measures, e.g. quarantine measures, are ordered by the responsible state health authority depending on the situation. Please remember to submit a copy of the Health Department's order for quarantine or, in case of illness, a certificate of incapacity to work to the Personnel Department.

Additional information on useful contacts and advisory services are available here.

Persons suffering from general symptoms of illness, especially respiratory symptoms, are not allowed to enter the university. The usual rules on incapacity for work and notification of illness apply.

If an employee has had contact with a person suffering from COVID-19, the health department must be contacted immediately. Employees and students who have had contact with an infected person in the last 14 days and show symptoms must stay away from the University of Bamberg for a period of 14 days. If a test is carried out, the employee must be considered unfit for work until the result is available. If no test is carried out, the employee is still fit for work.

Due to the reduction of on-site operations and the closure of university buildings, this only applies to university employees whose presence on site is absolutely necessary. All university employees whose presence is not absolutely necessary are already working from home.

This ist to be done: In such a case, affected members of staff are to contact their superiors and determine the extent to which working from home is feasible, or whether a temporary release from duties can be granted. You will be granted a release from your duties with continued payment of remuneration for all of your regular working hours. A BayZeit entry is not necessary.

We ask that you notify the personnel department (zeiterfassung.zuv(at)uni-bamberg.de) when the contact took place.

At the end of this period, you are to resume regular work as long as no incapacitation for work persists.

Further information on the prohibition of entry of contact persons as well as general measures for infection protection at the university can be found in the current manual.

If one of your team members has tested positive, the person must immediately inform you as a direct superior and Ms Ziegmann (by telephone at 0951/863-1096 or by email, mirjam.ziegmann@uni-bamberg.de) at the beginning of his/her isolation. Provided the affected person consents, you as the superior are asked to please inform the personnel department of the reported case. Any person who becomes aware that they have tested positive for Covid-19 must go into isolation immediately.

The identification of contact persons is the responsibility of the public health authorities. Category I* contact persons may only be informed about the specific individual case if this is absolutely necessary for the identification of the contact category and if the affected individual has consented. In obvious cases of category I contact persons (e.g. multi-person office), the University of Bamberg is entitled to order telecommuting or homeworking and subsidiarily grant a leave of absence from work.

*Persons in category I are those who have been informed by the public health authorities that they are contact persons on the basis of close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 according to the currently applicable criteria of the Robert Koch Institute.

The Federal Ministry of Health has amended the vaccination priority for university staff in its First Amendment to the Coronavirus Vacination Ordinance (Ersten Verordnung zur Änderung der Coronavirus-Impfverordnung vom 29. April 2021): According to § 4 para. 1 no. 8 of the amended ordinance, university staff are now among those groups entitled to vaccination with heightened priority.

The relevant passage from the Vaccination Ordinance currently reads (nonbinding informative translation; please see original German document in all official matters):

“(1) The following persons are entitled to vaccination with heightened priority: […] 8. persons working in child and youth welfare facilities and services and in schools not covered by section § 3 Absatz 1 Nummer 9 or at institutions of higher education […].”

Please note: Information on how to download a current employer's certificate for registration in the vaccination portal can be foundhere. In case of problems with the prioritised registration in the vaccination portal -i.e., if you are not assigned priority 3 -, please contact your vaccination centre or your general practitioner.

You can obtain a certificate of employment at the University of Bamberg as proof for the vaccination centers as follows:

Follow the link https://zuvportal.uni-bamberg.de/Mitarbeiter/Covid19/ via VPN to get to the ZUV portal. If you click on "Formular Covid19-Impfung" there, you will receive an automatically generated, daily updated certificate of your employment or service at the university.

If the vaccination center has any queries, the contacts listed on the certificate are available.

To implement the decision taken by the Federal Chancellor together with the Minister Presidents of the federal states, the Bavarian state government has adopted a testing concept for employees of the Free State of Bavaria. The test concept consists of two stages and is structured as follows:

Stage 1:

Regardless of employment, every citizen residing in Bavaria is currently entitled to one free rapid test per week at state testing facilities operated by municipalities or at pharmacies.

Employees working on site may also choose to have an additional free rapid test once a week at the above-mentioned facilities. These facilities also provide the employees with a corresponding test confirmation.

In order to receive this additional test, which is free of charge for you as a state employee, you will require a certificate from the university stating that you work on site for the Free State of Bavaria. For this purpose, please complete the corresponding form and have it signed and stamped by your immediate superior. If your immediate superior is not available at short notice, the next higher superior (including deans and heads of department) is also authorised to sign. In exceptional cases, the section of the personnel department responsible for you can also be contacted for signing (personal3-1(at)uni-bamberg.de, personal3-2(at)uni-bamberg.de, personal3-3(at)uni-bamberg.de). We ask however that you make use of this option only if none of your superiors is actually available.

When requested, the certificate only has to be presented at the testing institution and does not have to be handed in; it can therefore be used several times.

Release from work duties is granted for travelling to the nearest test centres or to the nearest pharmacy and for the rapid test itself.

Places where you can undergo such a test free of charge in Bamberg are listed by the city of Bamberg on its website.

Stage 2:

All employees working on site will have the opportunity to receive a self-test from the university twice a week beginning on Tuesday, 4 May 2021.

To obtain the self-tests, you can select a convenient distribution point near you and make an appointment electronically. The appointment can be made starting Monday, 3 May 2021. All information (in german language) on how to obtain and perform the tests, as well as how to pick them up and use them, can be found in the information sheet on the intranet.

Due to the economically favourable test kits allocated to us, we can provide you with a set of five tests at a time, which you can use flexibly according to your needs. If you do not wish to take the test at your workplace or at home, we will provide a central room at Kapuzinerstraße 20/22 room 02.08 (Alter Senatssaal). A video tutorial on how to perform the tests is currently available at https://technomed.at/vid/technomed_boson_antigen_tutorial_de_anim.mp4.

In the event that you require a certificate verifying a negative result, this can be issued to you upon request. In the event of a positive result, please inform your supervisor as well as Ms Ziegmann from the Safety Office, go home and make an appointment for a PCR test with your general practitioner or with the public health authorities.

You will also find information detailing the complete procedure in the letter from the Personnel Department.

Please regard this opportunity to conduct the weekly rapid tests as a building block for corona prevention, but continue to observe all other applicable regulations and measures including maintaining appropriate distancing, observing hygiene, wearing a mask and ventilating your workplace.

For information on this topic please click here.

If, regardless of continuing restricted operation, you are working on university premises, you may obtain a protective mask from the university:

Should you require such a mask, please send a short email to beschaffung(at)uni-bamberg.de. The purchasing department staff will then either send you your mask by internal mail or let you know when and where you can pick it up. If several people in your institution require a mask, please coordinate with your colleagues and superiors so that whenever possible a collective order can be made for all concerned.

Masks are available now.

Please be aware that the masks provided are not medical grade masks. However, according to current recommendations, even simple mouth/nose coverings are suited to contributing to the containment of the virus.

If, regardless of the university’s continuing limited on-site operations, you have to work on university premises, you may obtain two FFP2 masks from the university. In cases where more are needed (e.g. postal delivery staff), additional masks can be ordered. Should you require such a mask, please contact your supervisor. Supervisors should place orders for an entire organisational unit by sending an email to beschaffung(at)uni-bamberg.de.

You can find further information on handling and proper use of the FFP2 masks here.

Regulations and support for telecommuting

On-site operations continue to be reduced at the University of Bamberg. Whenever possible, working from home should continue to take precedence over working on site. Which employees may work on site at which times is to be decided by direct superiors in consideration of the respective working premises and physical distancing requirements. The distance and hygiene regulations detailed in the current University’s manual  on the subject must be observed.

During the period of restricted movement, working hours for employees subject to electronic time recording will be handled according to an honour system.

On-site operations continue to be reduced at the University of Bamberg. Whenever possible, working from home should continue to take precedence over working on site. From 23 March, only university employees whose presence is deemed absolutely necessary are to work at the workplace. All university employees whose presence is not absolutely necessary are to work from home. Please consult with your direct superiors to determine whether your presence on site is absolutely necessary. This regulation applies until further notice.

University employees whose on-site presence is deemed absolutely necessary, are obligated to work from home ore will be granted a release from their duties, if they have had direct contact with an infected individual (here is how you proceed).

You can find information on recording working hours in the case of working from home or release from work here. Further information on protective measures at the workplace and on the university area is available in the current manual on infection protection.

In accordance with the Bavarian State Ministry of Finance’s directive of 02.10.2020, the following still applies:

In case of illness of a child the usual work duty exemption possibilities apply, particularly § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 3 d, bb, ggf. i.V.m. Abs. 3 UrlMV (Beamte), staff members remunerated according to state wage agreements (TV-L) are entitled to relief from their official duties according to § 45 des Fünften Buches Sozialgesetzbuch; a further exemption cannot be granted if a child is ill.

It is not possible to generally refrain from the obligation to present a medical certificate. If it is not possible to provide a medical certificate (because it is not possible to visit doctors' offices and no certificate can be obtained by telephone), a declaration by the employee is sufficient. However, the employee is obliged to make every effort to obtain such a certificate.

If the personnel department has already prohibited you from working on site at university premises, this will continue to apply. You should continue performing your official duties exclusively from home. If you are not able to work from home, you will be released from your duties with continued payment of remuneration. As long as the general contact restrictions imposed by the state of Bavaria remain in force, the ban on on-site working can only be lifted or relaxed if a risk assessment has determined that you are not exposed to an elevated infection risk at your workplace. Should you require such a risk assessment, please consult with your superior and contact Mirjam Ziegmann of the Work Safety executive administrative unit (sicherheitswesen(at)uni-bamberg.de) to coordinate further steps.

If you have not yet been prohibited from working on site, please work from home as a precautionary measure if possible. In this case, please contact both the personnel department (abt-personal(at)uni-bamberg.de) in order to clarify a possible on-site working prohibition and the work safety officer to arrange for a risk assessment of your workplace.

During the period of restricted movement (subject to extension, until and including 10 May), working hours for employees subject to electronic time recording will be handled according to an honour system. Employees do not need to record their working hours. Insofar as working time is not recorded, the system will automatically credit your full, regularly required hours. Please be aware, however, that operations and availablility by email and telephone must continue to be guaranteed.

The personnel department and Z/IS are currently taking the organisational and technical steps necessary to return to regular time recording. You will of course be informed in advance when a date for reintroducing the regular electronic recording of working time has been set.

Please direct any questions regarding the recording of working hours to your supervisor or superior. Supervisors should collect any open questions and pass them along to the responsible personnel department section. 

As the personnel department has already received a large volume of questions concerning telecommuting, we ask that you please keep telephone contact to a minimum, and that you instead contact the personnel department by email whenever possible:

The computer centre has compiled essential information for home office employees about the technical possibilities at the University of Bamberg: www.uni-bamberg.de/rz/homeoffice

The website explains how employees can access the university's network drives, telephone, e-mail and special IT systems, or how to obtain a loaned PC or virtual home office computer.

Derogations for academic staff

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Federal Ministry of Education and Research has decided to increase the six-year maximum term for employees in the qualification phases of doctoral studies or habilitation stipulated in the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (WissZeitVG) by six or twelve months, respectively. The procedure for contract extension as such remains unchanged: If the supervisor agrees to the contract extension and has the necessary resources, a substantiated request can be submitted by the supervisor through the normal channels.

Only those employed in qualification positions in accordance with the WissZeitVG are entitled to the exception. The maximum permissible extension of the maximum fixed-term period depends on the time of employment. The following currently applies:

  • An application for extension of the contract by up to 12 months beyond the maximum fixed term can be submitted if the employment relationship existed between 1 March 2020 and 30 September 2020.
  • An application for extension of the contract by up to 6 months beyond the maximum fixed term can be submitted if the employment relationship existed between 1 October 2020 and 31 March 2021.

An employment relationship over the entire period is not required.

There is no application deadline for an extension. If an employee realises in two years that the six-year period has been reached and the doctoral or habilitation project has not yet been completed, the contract can still be extended at that time, provided the employment relationship existed within the stipulated period.

The exception rules do not apply to fixed-term projects or temporary staff (temporary lecturers).

Please contact your respective Dean’s office with specific questions.

Currently, two programmes are helping early-career scholars facing additional burdens in their everyday lives and academic work due to the difficult conditions of childcare or care work during the coronavirus pandemic:

1) CatchUP: CatchUP is a programme run by the university women's representatives for early-career female academics with children and/or care work who had less time available for qualification work due to the measures taken in response to the coronavirus pandemic. They are now being given the opportunity to be supported by a student assistant in order to continue working on their qualification projects.

2) FlexKidz: As a family-friendly university, the University of Bamberg grants female postdocs and habilitation candidates with children subsidies for childcare costs, irrespective of the coronavirus pandemic. Financial support can be requested for the short-term care of one or more of your own children under the age of 14 if, for compelling and professional reasons, you are unable to take care of them yourself (e.g. during conferences).

As part of the university's gender equality work, all other persons in the qualification phase are also given the opportunity to apply for support if they are facing additional burdens in their everyday lives and academic work due to the difficult conditions of childcare or care work during the coronavirus pandemic

To this end, the university management has launched the supplementary support programs CatchUP+ and FlexKidz+, which are aimed at people who are not eligible to apply in the women's support programs. Applications are processed by the University's equal opportunity officers. More information is available on the pages of the equal opportunity officer.

Organisation and service

Business trips will only be authorised if they are absolutely necessary. However, it is no longer necessary to obtain special approval from the President or Head of Administration for travel within Germany and Europe. Effective immediately, direct superiors will be responsible for taking decisions concerning approval of these business trips. Only in the case of trips to areas outside Europe is it still necessary to request approval from the President (for academic staff) or the Head of Administration (for non-academic staff).

Due to the Corona pandemic, there may be entry restrictions for foreign guests. We therefore recommend that you inform yourself carefully before entering Germany or Bavaria. For this purpose we have listed the most important sources of information for you.

This general rule applies: because the corona pandemic has shifted the focus to ensuring that studies and teaching can continue, the university board of management will suspend central, high-profile events such as the Hegelwoche or Kinder-Uni until further notice. Decentralized, public events and meetings are also not permitted until further notice (see manual on infection protection).

In individual cases, justified exceptions may be made to this general regulation; these would have to be proposed to the university management, and proposals would have to include the reasons and the spatial and organisational concept for implementation.

The psychosocial counselling team is available by telephone and email. Contact information is available (in German) on the group's university intranet website.