Dr. Tommaso Mari
ERC Starting Grant "ACO"
An der Weberei 5
Phone: ++49 951-863-2026
Tommaso is the linguistics expert on the team. He received his degrees from some of the world’s most renowned centers for the study of Classics, and at less than 30 years of age, he has published an impressive array of articles on Latin linguistics. Tommaso will scrutinize the Acts for any traces of orality revealed by linguistic oddities; also, he will investigate the often highly complex relationships between the Latin and Greek versions of the Acts.
Education and Career
2007-2012 Scuola Normale Superiore/Università di Pisa, Laurea Triennale in Lettere and Laurea Magistrale in Filologia e Storia dell’Antichità
2012-2016 University of Oxford, Brasenose College, DPhil in Classical Languages and Literature
from 2016 Postdoctoral researcher at Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg’s ERC Starting Grant “ACO”
- Chancellor’s Latin Prose Prize – University of Oxford (2013)
- AHRC Studentship – University of Oxford (2013-15)
- Senior Hulme Scholarship at Brasenose College – Oxford (2014-15)
- Hulme Completion Grant, Brasenose College – Oxford (2015-16)
- Consentius’ De Barbarismis et Metaplasmis: Critical Edition, Translation, and Commentary, forthcoming.
- Pauca de barbarismo collecta de multis: studio ed edizione critica, Pisa 2017.
- An Emendation in Cassiodorus, De orthographia VI 31, Mnemosyne 68 (2015), 494-497.
- A New Manuscript of Consentius’ De barbarismis et metaplasmis, Classical Quarterly 66 (2016), 390-395.
- I metaplasmi in Consenzio, in R. Ferri and A. Zago (eds.), The Latin of the Grammarians. Reflections about Language in the Roman World, Turnhout 2016, 277-289.
- Third person possessives from early Latin to late Latin and Romance, in J. Adams and N. Vincent (eds.), Early and Late Latin: Continuity or Change?, Cambridge 2016, 47-68.
- Centro vs. periferia nel latino parlato: la testimonianza di Consenzio, Linguarum Varietas 6 (2017), 105-118.
- Fire and its Asian worshippers: a note on Firmicus Maternus’ De errore profanarum religionum 5.1, Classical Quarterly 68, forthcoming [joint publication with Alessio Mancini].
- Review of Hagit Amirav, Authority and Performance. Sociological Perspectives on the Council of Chalcedon (AD 451), Plekos 19 (2017), 1-5.
- Review of Claudio Giammona, Ars Ambianensis. Le tre redazioni delle declinationes nominum. Editio princeps con commento e indici, Plekos 19 (2017), 205-14.