Structure, Curriculum and Degree
The bachelor's degree programme in English and American Studies is available in the following variations:
- as one of two major subjects (75 ECTS points)
- as a single major subject (75 ECTS points) with two minor subjects
- as a first minor subject (45 ECTS points)
- as a second minor subject (30 ECTS points)
When studied as a second minor subject, the bachelor's degree programme in English and American Studies is limited to one academic sub-discipline and practical language training. The first minor subject introduces all three academic sub-disciplines – Literary Studies, Linguistics and Cultural Studies – and practical language training. Based on this introduction, students then choose their individual specialisation which informs their bachelor's thesis in the major subject.
Information on thesis supervisors
- For general information about completing your degree, see the following text: Vertiefungsmodul und Schritte zur Bachelorarbeit (advanced module and steps towards your bachelor's thesis)(275.0 KB, 2 pages)
- The subject-specific advisory services for the sub-disciplines of English Literary Studies, American Studies, English and American Cultural Studies can tell you which instructors supervise Bachelor’s theses in the different disciplines. This information can, in part, also be found on our websites:
Scope and format
The required format for bachelor’s theses generally corresponds to that outlined in the style sheets for the sub-disciplines and practised in the term papers.
For the style sheets and recommendations regarding the scope of your bachelor’s thesis compared to other types of written work, see this page.
The Office of Examinations will provide you with templates for your cover page and the declarations you must include at the end of your work. Be sure to consult the website of the Office of Examinations at an early stage to find out everything else you need to know about registering for your thesis, submitting your thesis and scheduling the process. Please always follow only the instructions provided there.
Also see the examination regulations for the rules governing your bachelor’s thesis:
- Sections 18–20 of the general examination regulations (Allgemeine Prüfungsordnung)
- Section 35 of the examination regulations for the individual degree course (Studien- und Fachprüfungsordnung)