Mensch-Computer-Interaktion/Human Computer Interaction (WS 2009/2010)
This course was held the last time in WS 2009/2010. From winter term 10/11 onwards I am offering the 6 ECTS course "Usability-Projekt" where basic principles of HCI and empirical research methods are introduced and an empirical usability study is conducted -- whenever possible together with a local software company. This course is eligible for bachelor as well as master students as project in Applied Computer Science. Please refer to the page Master-Projekt Kognitive Systeme for further information.
- For a general course description please read the corresponding pages from the WIAI module guide.
- You find administrative information at UnivIS.
- Participants should sign up for the course in the virtual campus.
You need a key so sign for the course: keystud
(Reason: One of the discussion groups involves our cooperation with external companies and these discussions should not have open accessability.)
In winter term 2009/2010 the practice part of HCI will be realised jointly with two software companies. We will conduct a user study to help to evaluate and redesign a specific software system.
Recommended Reading / Links
- Alan Dix, Janet Finlay, Gregory Abowd, Russell Beale (2004). Human-Computer Interaction (3rd Ed.). Prentice Hall.
- Jennifer Preece, Yvonne Rogers, Helen Sharp (2002). Interaction Design. Wiley.
- Stephen M. Kosslyn. Elements of Graph Design. W. H. Freeman & Co, 1993 [Review]
- William Newman, Michael Lamming (1995). Interactive System Design, Addison Wesley.
- Mark Maybury, Wolfgang Wahlster (1998). Readings in Intelligent User Interfaces, Morgan Kaufmann.
- B. Goldstein (2002). Sensation and Perception, 6th edition. WADSWORTH.
- J.R. Anderson (2000). Cognitive Psychology and its Implications, Fifth Edition. Worth Publishing.
- J. Bortz. Lehrbuch der empirischen Forschung für Sozialwissenschaftler. Springer.
- H. Balzert (2000). Lehrbuch der Software-Technik (1). Spektrum. Chap. 16-20 (Ergonomie)
- Excerpt of relevant ISO Norms
- HCI Bibliography
Linksammlung zu Literatur und Software.
- Usability First
- ACT-R Homepage
- Usability Metaphors
- Usability Standards
- Introduction to HCI [pdf]
- Human Perception and (Cognitive) Ergonomics I [pdf]
- Human Perception and (Cognitive) Ergonomics II
- Empirical Evaluation of Software-Systems I [pdf]
- Empirical Evaluation of Software-Systems II
- Memory Organization and Information Presentation [pdf]
- Knowledge Representation and Users' Mental Models I [pdf]
- Knowledge Representation and Users' Mental Models II
- Cognitive Architectures [pdf]
- User Modeling with GOMS [pdf]
- Tutor Systems I [pdf] see also: History of ITS, in German, by Puppe
- Tutor Systems II
- Enduser Programming [pdf]
- Problem Solving by Analogy [pdf]
- Summary and Perspectives
In winter term 09/10 we did two usability studies for software systems of the local companies GSD and Docufy. The reports, presentation slides and fotos are available via the VC-course.
- WS 0809: Do People Prefer Irrational Ratios? A New Look at the Golden Section (Report)
- WS 0708: The effect of video console training on performance in bowling (Report) (Paper)
- SS 07: Designing and evaluating a "HowTo" poster for the copying machines of Uni BA (Report)
- SS 06: Designing a usability study for VC
- SS 05: Comparing the understandability of two different graph representations
Excursion to the "Tower of Senses"
Introduction to LaTeX by Klaus Stein (2005) [pdf]
Talk by Thomas Wittenberg, Fraunhofer IIS (Feb 2008): Computer-Assisted Diagnosis [pdf]