Validation and Topping Up Your Card
Student ID card validity
Following your initial enrolment as a student and after each semester’s re-registration, you must revalidate your card by inserting it into one of the university’s validation stations. After verifying your enrolment or renewed registration with the background systems, the machine will update the validation information on the card’s rewritable strip and will record the new validation period (one semester) on the chip.
Validating your chip card
After inserting a card into the validation printer’s card slot, please do not remove it before the process is completed. Simply follow the simple instructions displayed on the terminal.
Validation terminals can be found at the following locations:
- in the staircase at Kapuzinerstraße 25
- in the corridor leading to the copy room on the ground floor of Building 2 at Markusstraße 8a
- in the lobby of the Computing Centre in the Feldkirchenstraße
- in front of the library entrance at An der Weberei 5 (ERBA)
Topping up your electronic purse
On your card’s chip, there is an "electronic purse" which is functions like a cashless wallet. It can be used to pay for purchases made in the dining halls and cafeterias operated by the Würzburg Student Union (Studentenwerks Würzburg), as well as for making private copies or printing private documents on multi-purpose printers. Electronic purses may be topped up at the cash terminals; they are serviced by the Würzburg Student Union and the University of Bamberg.
These terminals are available at the following locations:
- In the cafeteria at Markusplatz
- In the Feldkirchenstraße dining hall lobby
- In the lobby of Branch Library 3 (Feldkirchenstraße)
- In the lobby of Branch Library 4 (in the city centre)
- In front of the library entrance at An der Weberei 5 (ERBA)
Please note that cash terminals are only accessible during dining hall and library opening hours. There is no fee when card holders want to top up their electronic purse. Currently, the maximum amount that can be deposited in the electronic purse is 70 euros. Our cards are not compatible with cash cards issued by banks or other financial institutions; they can only be used at the university. The University of Bamberg is not liable for any amount of money saved in electronic purses. Furthermore, the University cannot transfer any credit from one card to another, e.g. when a card is lost or damaged. Such cases shall be handled exclusively by the Student Union (Studentenwerk).