BETTER Research Sabbatical
The University of Bamberg is committed to its responsibility towards early-career scholars and has included corresponding financial aid programmes in its 2020 development perspective. With the "BETTER Research Sabbatical", the University of Bamberg aims to promote the academic qualification of scholars in the postdoctoral phase and thus make a sustainable improvement to their appointment prospects.
The programme provides the opportunity for scholars’ exemption from teaching duties for a one-semester period in accordance with §7 (7) Satz 2 in conjunction with Satz 5 of the LUFV. The resulting flexibility is intended to be used for advanced academic qualification, particularly with the goal of increasing the chances of an appointment by, for example, carrying out a research project, completing a substantial third-party funding application or pursuing research at another institution for (international) networking purposes. The intended completion of qualification paper(s) can only be considered grounds for granting a BETTER Research Sabbatical in justified exceptional cases, such as when the completion of the qualification paper(s) has been delayed due to activities that have served to increase the chances of an appointment in accordance with the objective of this funding line.
Scope of Funding
The funding granted for each selected application is €5,000. This sum will be apportioned as follows:
- €3,000 for the professorship/chair (for teaching assignments and graduate assistants)
- €2,000 allowance for the applicant (e.g. for research-related travel costs, literature/materials, graduate assistants, etc.)
Double funding and repeated funding are not possible.
Application and Deadlines
Early-career scholars in the qualification phase are entitled to apply following a positive interim evaluation concerning positions at the University of Bamberg (particularly assistant professorship, akademischer Rat a.Z., comparable employment position; depending on the availablility of funds, also Akademische Oberratsstelle a. Z.). A BETTER Research Sabbatical cannot be granted for the last semester before the end of the presumably last employment contract in the academic sector at the University of Bamberg outside of third-party funded projects.
The application comprises the following documents:
- Informal one-page letter of application
- Project outline of no more than 2 pages: the intended type of advanced academic qualification and the intended use of funds
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form including a listing of the most important publications, courses, third-party funding acquisition of the last 6 years
- Two letters of recommendation (max. 1 page each referring to the selection criteria), of which one is from the spokesperson of the habilitation mentorate (in the case of habilitation) or the evaluation committee (in the case of assistant professors).
- Interim evaluation report
The applicant submits all application materials digitally to the University President (firstname.lastname@example.org) using official channels (statement by the organisational superior [holder of the professorship or chair] and approval from the Dean, if necessary with the involvement of the faculty committee in accordance with the faculty's regulations) and stating the extent of the intended reduction in the applicant's teaching load.
The application deadline is two working days after the first faculty committee meeting of the summer semester (for an exemption for the following winter semester) or the winter semester (for an exemption for the following summer semester).
Applications are evaluated in a competitive intrauniversity procedure according to several selection criteria. The FNK, chaired by the Vice-President for Research and Early-career scholars, deliberates on and evaluates the applications. The Vice-President submits a recipient recommendation to the University Board of Management for decision.
The following criteria are prioritised in the selection process:
- Quality of the project outline, particularly with regard to the expected sustainability of the advanced qualification and improvement of appointment prospects
- Academic excellence (e.g. quality of the doctoral degree, distinguished publications, awards, scholarships, third-party funding)
- Exceptional teaching commitment and/or particularly heavy teaching load
Particular consideration is given to international networking and the promotion of equal opportunity.
Obligations of the Persons or Chairs/Professorships Funded by the Programme
- Funds generally have to be spent within the semester for which the leave of absence is granted.
- A final report (max. two pages) must be submitted to the President no later than two months after the end of the sabbatical semester.
- The Office of the Dean and the respective chair/professorship shall ensure that the sponsored person is relieved of teaching and – as regards Akad. Rätinnen and Räte a. Z. – administrative duties, and that the thereby omitted course offerings can be maintained in the same semester using sponsorship funds.
Advice and contact
If you are interested in applying for a BETTER Research Sabbatical, please contact the postdoc advisory service: postdoc.trac(at)uni-bamberg.de