Dr. Nicole K. Konopka
- 19th and 20th Century American Literature
- Letters and Epistolarity in German and American Culture
- Transatlantic Migrations and Education
- Transculturalism and Human Relations
- Madness and Monstrosity in Literature and the Arts
- Outsiders in German and American Literature and Culture
- 05/2019:How to Avoid Plagiarism. Lecture at the Archiepiscopal Evening School, Bamberg (Germany).
- 02/2019: Basics of Academic Research. Lecture at the Archiepiscopal Evening School, Bamberg (Germany).
- 11/2018: Workshop "Projekt BRIDGING – Transfer digitaler Hochschulbildungskonzepte. Ein empirischer Zugang", Institut für Technische Bildung und Hochschuldidaktik, Technische Universität Hamburg (Germany).
- 04/2017: "Filthy Freeloaders, Ruthless Scavengers, Subhuman Parasites": Sentiment and Emotion in 19th Century German-American Immigrant Letters. Presentation at the conference "Letters" in Varna (Bulgaria).
- 11/2016: Chairing the Panel American Poetries on the Move at the conference "The Environment and Human Migration: Rethinking the Politics of Poetry", Bamberg (Germany).
- 05/2015: Looking Back and Marchin’ On: Reenacting the American Civil War in Post World War II Germany. Presentation at the conference "War in American Culture: Texts and Contexts" in Moscow (Russian Federation).
- 02/2015: Teaching Diversity –The Challenges and Opportunities of an Introductory Class to British and American Cultural Studies. Presentation at the workshop "Kultur aus interdisziplinärer Sicht" (Forum Junge Kulturwissenschaft) at the Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz (Germany).
- 03/2014: High School Graduation – what’s next? Lecture about going abroad between high school and college as part of the workshop "Gap Year" at the Highschool Wentorf near Hamburg (Germany).
- 07/2013: Engineering Perfection in Kirsten Bakis' 'Lives of the Monster Dogs'. Presentation at the 24th International Congress of History of Science, Technology and Medicine "Knowledge at Work", panel "Genetics, Eugenics and Culture: Transatlantic Perspectives, 1900-2000" in Manchester (UK).
- 05/2013: Teaching the City. Approaches to American Urbanity in the University Classroom. Presentation at the conference "Urban Dimensions of American Civilization" in Moscow (Russian Federation).
- 04/2013: Chairing the Panel Freaks, Tattoos, and Scars in the Nineteenth Centuryat the conference "Probing the Skin. Cultural Representations of Our Contact Zone",Jena (Germany).
- 06/2012: "Hoffentlich bringt der nächste Brief bessere Nachrichten..." Spurensuche im Auswandererbrief. Presentation at the interdisciplinary conference "Die Textualität der Kultur. Gegenstände, Methoden und Probleme der kulturwissenschaftlichen Forschung" in Bamberg.
- 11/2011: Teaching Migration to the Young and the Young at Heart. Challenges and Opportunities in the German Educational System. Presentation at the 36th Annual Meeting of the Social Science History Association "Generation to Generation" in Boston/MA (USA).
- 11/2010: Brothers in Arms – Sisters in Debate: A Case Study of Gender Politics and Power Strategies in the Letters of 19th Century Immigrant Sisters. Presentation at the 35th Annual Meeting of the Social Science History Association "Power and Politics" in Chicago/IL (USA).