BFC-B-03: Cases in Corporate Finance
Winter Term 2019/2020
In this seminar, we apply important concepts from capital market theory by considering real world case studies. Thus, the course aims at closing the gap between financial theory and practice. It highlights the immediate applicability of the – at first glance – purely theoretical results. The course concentrates on methods and concepts relevant to the corporate finance business of banks (i.e. M&A, debt and equity issuance). Class participants are expected to discuss cases in small study groups and develop possible solutions to problems described therein. The module covers the following aspects:
- Corporate Financing Decisions
- Portfolio Choice
- Capital Asset Pricing Model
- Discounted Cash Flow Approach (DCF) to Company Valuation
- Case Discussion: Financial Planning
- Case Discussion: The Cost of Capital
- Case Discussion: Estimating the Cost of Capital
- Case Discussion: Project Valuation
- Case Discussion: Financing M&A Transactions
- Case Discussion: Leveraged Recapitalization
- Case Discussion: The Value of Control
Course and exam language: English
The Module in the Study Program
- Module: BFC-B-03
- Course level: Bachelor
- Recommended semester: 3-6
- ECTS-Credits: 6
- For information on the status of the course in the study program please refer to the website of the examining board ("Prüfungsausschuss")
Bibliography & Course Material
The corresponding bibliography and further information on the course can be found in the course catalogue ("Modulhandbuch") available for download through http://www.uni-bamberg.de/sowi/pa/bwlewwipaed/aushang-alle-studiengaenge/.
Course material as well as a detailed course syllabus will be provided on the Virtual Campus. The access code will be communicated in the course of the first lecture and may be requested by e-mail to bwl-bfc(at)uni-bamberg.de.
License fee for case studies
Please note that with your registration a license fee for the cases discussed in class is due. Further information will be provided in the course of the first lecture.
Registration & Scheduling
Registration and deregistration for the exam online via FlexNow! during the official registration period of the Faculty for Social Sciences, Economics, and Business Administration.