Mareike Spychala, M.A.
- Fighting for the Future: Essays on Star Trek: Discovery, edited by Sabrina Mittermeier and Mareike Spychala, Liverpool UP, 2020.
- War and Trauma in Past and Present: Conference Proceedings. Eds. Lina Strempel, Chiara Manghi, and Mareike Spychala, Wissenschaftsverlag Trier, 2019.
- Current Objectives of Postgraduate American Studies (COPAS), Vol. 17, No 1 (2016). Edited with an Introduction. Eds. Laura Oehme, Judith Rauscher, Theresa Roth. Mareike Spychala.
Essays in Edited Collections
- "Star Trek's Shared Universe in the 21st Century." Televisual Shared Universes, edited by CarrieLynn Reinhardt and Vincent Tran, Lexington Books, 2022. (In preparation)
- “What’s In a Life? Grappling With Genre, Gender, and Star Trek’s Liberal Humanism in The Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway.” Strange Novel Worlds: Star Trek Novels and Fiction Collections in Popular Culture, edited by Caroline-Isabelle Caron and Kristin Noone, 2022. (In preparation).
- "War and Conflict." The Routledge Handbook of Star Trek. Eds. Leimar Garcia-Siino, Sabrina Mittermeier, and Stefan Rabitsch, Routledge, 2022, pp. 322-331.
- “Not Your Daddy's Star Trek: Exploring Female Chara2cters in Star Trek: Discovery.” Fighting for the Future: Essays on Star Trek: Discovery. Eds. Sabrina Mittermeier and Mareike Spychala. Liverpool UP, 2020, pp. 287-306.
- with Sabrina Mittermeier “‘Never hide who you are’: Queer Representation and Actorvism in Star Trek: Discovery.” Fighting for the Future: Essays on Star Trek: Discovery. Eds. Sabrina Mittermeier and Mareike Spychala. Liverpool UP, 2020, pp. 331-350.
- “’There is a definite minority of round-eyed women:’ Gender, Ethnicity, and Militarism in Women’s Vietnam War Autobiographies.” War and Trauma in Past and Present: Conference Proceedings, edited by Lina Strempel, Chiara Manghi, and Mareike Spychala, Wissenschaftsverlag Trier, 2019, pp. 181-191.
- "American Wife and Hesitation Kills: Gender and War on the Home Front and in Iraq.“ Kolloquium Forschende Frauen 2016 und 2017. Eds. Ute Franz und Iris Hermann, et al. U of Bamberg P, 2018, pp. 109-129.
Essays in Journals
- "Military femininities and soldierly identity in the Iraq War autobiographies by female U.S. veterans." Tijdschrift voor Genderstudies vol. 19, no. 3, Sep. 2016, pp. 321-336.
Review, Frank Usbeck. Ceremonial Storytelling. Ritual and Narrative in Post-9/11 US Wars. Frankfurt: Peter Lang, 2019. H-Soz-Kult. 2022.
Conference Presentations and Guest Lectures
- 04/2022: “What’s In a Life? Grappling With Genre, Gender, and Star Trek’s Liberal Humanism in The Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway.” Annual Meeting of the Popular Culture/American Culture Association (PCA/ACA), online.
- 06/2021: “Military Femininities in Kayla Williams’ Love My Rifle More Than You.” Presentation during the Futures of American Studies Institute, Dartmouth College, USA. Online.
- 01/2021: “War Posters and Propaganda.” Guest lecture in the Proseminar “Experiencing, Remembering and Processing the Great War in British Literature” (Dr. Münderlein, Englische Literaturwissenschaft, Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg).
- 05/2020: “’visions of war:’ Resisting the Iraq War in Laila Halaby’s Post-9/11 Poetry” - Guest lecture in the Hauptseminar "Contemporary Arab American Literature" (Prof. Dr. Gerhardt and Prof. Dr. Lale Behzadi).
- 06/2019: "Images of War: U.S. Popular Culture as Militainment." Workshop as part of the annual meeting of the German Association for American Studies (GAAS) with Dr. Katharina Gerund, Universität Hamburg.
- 04/2019: "Transgressing Gendered Boundaries: Kristin Beck’s Autobiography
Warrior Princess." Annual Meeting of the Popular Culture/American Culture Association (PCA/ACA), Washington, D.C., USA.
- 12/2018: "'The Witch of Wurna Minor:' Gender, Sexuality, and the Mirror Universe in the Star Trek Franchise." Worlding SF. University of Graz, Graz, Austria.
- 11/2018: "Honor Flights, Veterans, and Military Pilgrimages in American Popular Culture." 45th Austrian Association for American Studies Conference: American Im/Mobilities. Universität Wien, Österreich.
- 10/2018: "The Canon and its Discontents - Questions of Genre, Canon, and Narrative in Star Trek: Discovery." Screening and Discussion. University of Birmingham, GB.
- 09/2018: "Illustrating War: Gender, Violence, and War in Photographs in Female Veterans' Autobiographies." Writing Her/Self in Text and Image in Anglophone Women's Life Writing. Université Paris Nanterre, France.
- 09/2018: “Judging a Book by its Cover: Gender, Violence, and War on the Covers of Female Veterans' Autobiographies.” War, Literature, and the Arts Conference: Representing and Remembering War, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.
- 03/2017: “’There is a definite minority of round-eyed women:’ Gender, Ethnicity, and Militarism in Women’s Vietnam War Autobiographies.” Century of Conflict: Dialogues on Women, Gender, Intersectionality and Militarism – 2017 Symposium, Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, USA.
- 10/2016: "From Vietnam to Iraq - Female Veterans' Writing About War." Postgraduate Forum of the Association for American Studies, University of Hamburg.
- 06/2016: "American Wife and Hesitation Kills: Gender and War on the Home Front and in Iraq.“ Colloquium „FORSCHEnde Frauen" organized by the Women's Representatives of the University of Bamberg.
- 03/2016: "Gender in the Auto/Biography of the Iraq War and Popular Culture.“ Annual Meeting of the Popular Culture/American Culture Association (PCA/ACA), Seattle, Washington (USA).
- 01/2014: "We only think we're American": Being an American Jew in Philip Roth's The Plot Against America. Student Conference "Connect the Dots: Structure-Networks-Systems", University of Bayreuth.